Want to chat with We Know members outside of WoW? Come join us by clicking the "Chat" tab above, or connecting through your favorite IRC Client to:
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #weknow
Plus One Raid - Firelands
  • This Sunday I will be starting the Plus One raid. The plan for this raid is to have a one night a week raid that will venture forth into the Firelands.

The raid is for 3 hours on Sunday. There is no set roster at this time, but I expect a core to develop, but that there will be some open slots that people will rotate through. The raid will pull on time and we will take breaks on the hour.

The expectation with this raid is that people will come with good gear, properly gemmed and enchanted, and that people will flask and have food buffs. It is also expected that people will have watched and/or read strats on the boss(es) we are attempting.

For this week we will work on Shannox. While this is a challenging boss for a new raid I would like to get some face time on him to get a feel for the dance, and see how far we can go.

If you are interested in joining this experiment sign up on the calendar here.

The Tankspot strategy can be viewed here.
  • You have my Death Grip!
    The chintacle can sense fear.
  • Z, what is your expectation for a minimum gear level? Or if you prefer, the minimum #s you expect of your DPS.
    Post edited by Hoff at 2011-06-30 10:13:41
    a/k/a Victarious
  • That's 4pm on a Sunday afternoon for me, time just doesn't work. Good luck & have fun. :)
  • Z - you have my heals at the ready - signed up!
  • That is a good question - I'm going to give a gear score here - which admittedly is a limited measure but does influence the potential DPS/heals/survivability. I am aiming for a minimum score of 9000 (based on whatever math http://wtfismygearscore.com does.)
    With the tier 11 being available for JP this should be pretty doable.

Also - trash runs in the Fireland raid does potential provide nice loot AND if no bosses are killed doesn't lock you to the instance.

That said if your gear isn't there yet - but is close do sign up and keep on working on the gear. We will see what we can pull together for the first week of Firelands.
  • Update on the boss plan. In looking at the discussions in Mememe and talking with some of the folks in the Unicorn run it looks like the Spider Lady (otherwise known as Beth'tilac) will work better as our first boss.

Beth'tilac strat on Tankspot can be found here.
  • I'm a little low (8587) so I will move to standby and edit my note accordingly. Good luck in there!
    a/k/a Victarious
  • Is there any chance of getting some trash runs together so people can get geared? Tried all day yesterday in guild with no luck.

Also, once a core emerges, will there be Plus One II, Plus One III, to enable new participation? (Not just for this raid but for any, really).

Edit: NM, saw the other thread.
    Post edited by spinnaker at 2011-06-30 15:48:56
  • I'm going to bow out for the week. I have a friend leaving the country on Monday who I thought was busy on Sunday, but it turns out he's free. Also, still working on gear. 8626 and climbing! :)

Good luck this week. I will sign up as a standby again next week and keep you posted on gear score.
    a/k/a Victarious
  • Keep up the good work on the gear. And I have been checking it periodically to see how you are doing. Have fun with your friend. (Where is he going?)
    Post edited by Zurena at 2011-07-01 19:20:50
  • Israel. He grew up here but he lives there now - after college he went to serve in the military, he gets out in September and he's getting married in October and starting his life there. Very happy for him, but given the circumstances, I try to spend as much time with him whenever he's in the States.

FYI I'm in the Molten Front now and aiming to split time between heroics on Miya and leveling my shaman. Feel free to keep checking in on me! :)
    a/k/a Victarious
  • Really nice job tonight. We definitely made progress on Beth'tilac. The logs from today are up: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rsyl6ikbyt648c5f/

Just to get a feel for the ratio of kills on the various bosses you can look at the info in World of Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/zones/Firelands/

One note on our raid wide DPS - we did not enter the burn phase at the end so the DPS is artificially low.

The raid for next week is here: sign up.

Post edited by Zurena at 2011-07-03 21:47:39
  • So after looking at the logs I can see where we were having trouble: the Burning Acid from the Spinners. If you look at the damage taken for the downstairs healers and ranged DPS you'll see lots of damage from the Spinners. That is what killed the raid. Beth'tilac was putting out lots of damage, but it was manageable except when the Spinners are doing even more damage. So I think the answer is to kill the Spinners right away so that Cornut and Katanyaa don't die.

Also, reading what other groups are saying about it, it seems that since you can trade off tanks to get rid of the tank healing debuff, there is no reason to focus on doing DPS on Beth'tilac in phase 1. We got the dance down, a tank and healer go up to keep her company, the DPS kills the Spinners and Drones. After three cycles she comes down and we DPS her down, trading tanks when they get the Kiss debuff.

That's how it seems it would work to me. I don't see that we had any real problem except for damage caused by Spinners shooting acid. Really, I don't understand the attraction of acid-soaked corn nuts, but then, I'm not a Firelands spider.
  • "Fireland spiders are all burney!" - Mylune

The Spinners do look like the main problem. We may want a little more DPS on the spiderlings - but we can look at that once we can keep everyone up.

The spinners don't actually come down unless you taunt them - so while we got all the spinners that were on the ground we left a few hanging around in the web - so they spit at us for the fight. (Apparently they need a large case of Tums.)

For the logs numbers overall burning acid damage you can look at this page: burning acid damage
    And if you mouse over the individual players on this page you can see the various damage sources.

(both of these were from the last attempt. Try 7 was also a good one, where we got to the second Smouldering Devastation.)

Making the change of getting the Spinners down we can take Beth'tilac down.

• Zurena said:

The spinners don't actually come down unless you taunt them - so while we got all the spinners that were on the ground we left a few hanging around in the web - so they spit at us for the fight. (Apparently they need a large case of Tums.)

Remember, you only need to taunt them down to get the webs. Once you've got enough webs for your web team, the rest can be killed without being taunted. That is, unless, you're ground team is full of melee.

We also found that leaving 2 spinners alive, if you can heal through it, is helpful. After Beth'tilac does her Smoldering Devastation ability you can immediately taunt the two leftover spinners and get your web tank and healer back up top. This lowers the overall raid damage she will do with Ember Flare. As a plus, you can DPS the two spinners you'll leave alive to about 20% health. Taunt them down after the Devastation and you'll pretty much two-shot them.
    But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. That happens to me sometimes.
  • Sheleg said:

Also, reading what other groups are saying about it, it seems that since you can trade off tanks to get rid of the tank healing debuff, there is no reason to focus on doing DPS on Beth'tilac in phase 1. We got the dance down, a tank and healer go up to keep her company, the DPS kills the Spinners and Drones. After three cycles she comes down and we DPS her down, trading tanks when they get the Kiss debuff.

Yes you can trade tanks but don't forget about frenzy which increases her dmg by 5% and keeps stacking the longer phase 2 lasts. This along with Ember Flare makes healing less fun.
    Post edited by Jello at 2011-07-04 14:02:14
  • I love the smell of Ember Flare in the morning!

Yes, there are advantages to taking her down early. We did figure out how to keep the tank and one strong melee dps on the spider while she is upstairs, so we should have her down a ways before we get to phase 2.

I think my main point was that in order to get to phase 2 we have to kill the spinners that are killing our healers downstairs. we only need to taunt the ones that provide the ladders. Since our melee and the healer going up are both druids, we can do our own taunts (it occurred to me after the fact). Going up with a DK tank we get some good dps on her, keep her company so she doesn't kill the raid and were getting the hang of dropping down and going back up. Where we had trouble was with the raid being cooked by spinners, so we can fix that.
  • Aye, Jello is right. If you don't get Beth down close to 80% in phase one I would give you, in your current gear, exactly 0% chance of success. She simply hits to hard after a few frenzy stacks. Remember, her Frenzy ability also buffs her Ember Flare damage by 5% each time it stacks.

FYI, our raid got her to phase 2, but she ate up two spiderlings which were left over and healed to 100%. We managed to get her to just above 20% before the tank damage was just too much.
    But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. That happens to me sometimes.
  • Yeah I would want to leave melee upstairs in phase one. We can try keeping 2 spinners up, I believe we were keeping at least 3 up because I happened to glance at them as I was kiting the drone.
  • Just a heads up, im still not sure of my work schedule on sunday (my manager thought he needed a 4 day weekend....) As SOON as I get that schedule I will confirm if I can be there. :(
  • We still have some room for some DPS and/or Tank.
    Post edited by Zurena at 2011-07-08 17:33:04
  • Thanks again Z for putting these together! Now the grind for gear continues...
  • And thus ends our noble experiment.
    Thank you all for joining in.

It was good to have a look see at the Firelands raid with the guild shortly after it dropped.

Since most of the raid is raiding in other groups I believe that by the time we have the additional gearing to take these bosses down we'll already be busy in Firelands with our other raids.

Good to run with you all. Keep on gearing and being awesome.

Post edited by Zurena at 2011-07-11 00:55:15
  • I apologize for my system going down, ended up being an easy fix (power brick issues).

Thank you all, especially Zurena and Sheleg for putting this together, I had a most excellent time!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

WeKnow.to © 2006-2017 All Rights Reserved