Want to chat with We Know members outside of WoW? Come join us by clicking the "Chat" tab above, or connecting through your favorite IRC Client to:
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #weknow
Prot Warrior Stat/Gem Priority Question
  • I'm trying to figure out how to gem the very first gem-able piece of gear that my 60's tanky alt just picked up and am having some trouble. I've found multiple mostly consistent resources explaining what my survival stat priority is (Stamina ≥ Mastery > Parry ≥ Dodge) and what my threat priority is (Expertise > Hit >>> Strength > Crit), but I've yet to see any information about whether or when to prioritize survivability vs. threat. Right now, I have 0 expertise. Do I gem for expertise then, or am I still gemming for as much Stam as possible? I know it's not quite as important as I'm leveling, but my entire purpose in leveling this tank alt is to learn this stuff now rather than waiting I'm 85.
    Post edited by Lurzmog at 2011-06-09 14:40:27
    Spencer Cross AKA Lurzmog | Balkhmog | Gobhoblin
  • The priorities will change with the levels. For a pre-80ish leveling tank, since your ratings drop as your levels go up, I would not worry too much about expertise and hit and in fact, I don't think most max level tanks prioritize getting hit and expertise capped. Throw in a sta and maybe an avoidance gem of matching colour (given decent bonus, but many aren't) and carry on.
  • Thanks. Coincidentally, I just stumbled across what's essentially the same answer in the most recent Ask the Devs:

Q: Can you make it so that taunt doesn't miss, just like you did for interrupt abilities? Doesn't feel as though it would be a complete upset to overall balance. – Madmartygan (LA)

A: Yes, absolutely! And in fact we did it back in patch 3.9. Tank classes' taunts have been unable to miss since then. We recognize that tanks will nearly always choose mitigation stats over threat stats and it's particularly frustrating to have to reach a hit cap just to make sure taunts or interrupts don't miss, which is why we no longer require that.
    Spencer Cross AKA Lurzmog | Balkhmog | Gobhoblin
  • hronk said:

The priorities will change with the levels. For a pre-80ish leveling tank, since your ratings drop as your levels go up, I would not worry too much about expertise and hit and in fact, I don't think most max level tanks prioritize getting hit and expertise capped. Throw in a sta and maybe an avoidance gem of matching colour (given decent bonus, but many aren't) and carry on.

Mastery > Stam = Parry = Dodge is how I have been stacking at 85 at after getting well geared and still at Tier x 4
    First stepping in BWD/BoT/T4W Stam > Mastery > Parry > Dodge

Some Prot Warrior Tanks prefer not to miss (not I) and go 8% hit 26 Expertise then Stam > Mastery = Parry = Dodge (I don't recommend this much though, DPS can wait a few seconds to let you build good aggro)

Also, some handy stuff here: sup EJ
  • Threat is really downplayed at the moment. What I would suggest is to focus on survivability unless you find yourself having problems keeping threat (on the target you are attacking). If you are having those problems then check your rotation and maybe throw a little of expertise/hit at the problem.
  • Waffle, there's no such thing as a good agro lead, I could start out swinging only white hits and 15 seconds later hitting one CS, get a crit and be riding your butt the entire time on the threat meters, even with Hand of Salvation up. It sucks.
    I love gnomes.
  • Pallies need soulshatter! :-)
  • this is why this is why this is why he's
    prot

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

WeKnow.to © 2006-2017 All Rights Reserved