Want to chat with We Know members outside of WoW? Come join us by clicking the "Chat" tab above, or connecting through your favorite IRC Client to:
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #weknow
Hotfix for Priestly Shields
  • Hotfix Notes

Priests

In addition to its current effects, the Body and Soul talent now grants 12.5%/25% reduction to the base mana cost of Power Word: Shield. This is not reflected in the tooltip, but is reflected in the amount of mana used when Power Word: Shield is cast by Holy priests who have this talent. The tooltip update will require a client-side patch.

Power Word: Shield now costs roughly 34% of base mana, up from 25%. This is not reflected in the tooltip, but is reflected in the amount of mana used when the spell is cast. The tooltip update will require a client-side patch.
    More information on these changes can be found here.

Blue Post

Since the release of patch 4.0.6, we’ve been keeping an eye on healers and how they are performing and are currently in the process of making some additional adjustments.

Priests

The cost of Power Word: Shield is being increased by 33%. While we wanted Discipline priests to be able to utilize this spell more often and with better results, we also did not want it to be the main spell (and often the only spell) used while in groups. We don’t find this to be a particularly compelling playstyle and have found that it encourages players to avoid using other spells such as Penance. We believe that using a shield in a tight moment is totally appropriate, but we don’t want it to be incredibly efficient to do so with more frequency than that.

We realize that by making Power Word: Shield slightly more expensive for Discipline priests to cast that it might cause Holy priests to avoid using it. To that end, we are adding mana savings into the Body and Soul talent. The tooltip will not reflect this change until a future patch, however. Ideally, Holy priests should not notice much of a change to the Power Word: Shield costs.
    There exist only three respectable beings: the priest, the warrior, the poet. To know, to kill, and to create. -Charles Baudelaire
  • "We decided that we didnt want you using PW:S that much. Basicly, we want you to run out of mana if you use it more than once, just like flash heal. Bye bye PW:S!"

Ok, it's probably not that bad, but it sure gets annoying to have spells that you really have to think about if it's worth casting or not, knowing that if you cast more than 3 in a fight you will be OOM. Lame.
  • Geesh. I have to say I'm disappointed, but not surprised.
    X
  • This follows the "nerf paladin" logic. Post patch disc priests were back to shield spam and topping meters by the same gap holy pallies were when the pitchforks and torches came out.

At some point Blizz will figure out how to test and make small incremental changes instead of swinging so wild that they have to undo 50% of what they did 2 weeks later.
  • Hehe. Sort of does follow the same argument.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want the rotation to be "spam PW:S on everyone, then repeat".

But PW:S costing upwards of 35% base mana? 40% base mana? That is just getting dumb. Surely there is a better way to fix PW:S spamming than just making it prohibitively expensive? Say, get rid of the talent that removes the CD on it, or increase the Weakened Soul Debuff?
  • I am totally with you. There has to be some incremental way for shields to be a tool equal to Penance but different enough to make priests choose the right tool for the job.
  • thujo said:

...increase the Weakened Soul Debuff?

I like this option. Make it a 60 or 90 second debuff.
    But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. That happens to me sometimes.
  • part II

•Power Word: Shield now costs 34% of base mana, up from 25%. Now lasts 15 sec, down from 30 sec.
    There exist only three respectable beings: the priest, the warrior, the poet. To know, to kill, and to create. -Charles Baudelaire

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

WeKnow.to © 2006-2017 All Rights Reserved