Want to chat with We Know members outside of WoW? Come join us by clicking the "Chat" tab above, or connecting through your favorite IRC Client to:
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #weknow
OT: women's hackerspace tea party and lightning talks in SF, 9/17
  • Some women in tech in SF (including me) are starting a harassment-free hackerspace for women (trans and genderqueer inclusive). We are hosting a tea party with lightning talks at Mozilla SF on Tuesday 9/17. This event is open to the public and to people of all genders. More information about the event is at my writeup here. I will be deciding on my lightning talk topic in the next 24 hours and will updating the Groupthink article with that info when it's decided.

Please spread the word to any people that you know in the area who are interested in encouraging women's participation in tech. I hope to see some of you there!
    If you want to stop being called on your bad behavior, stop behaving badly.
  • The list of confirmed talks is up and we have an RSVP system for the event now, which is tomorrow. We are in single digit remaining RSVPs, but we expect that people will be showing up without having RSVPed, so there are more seats than RSVP slots.

I will be discussing the differences in treatment that I get when commenting online with a masculine handle and a feminine handle, and how that has affected my responses to trolls. I will probably not have time to get to gender-neutralish handles like Swirly, which I think of as feminine even though WoW players assume masculine.

Hope to see some of you there!
  • A little far for me, but I shared it on FB. Best of luck!
    Spencer Cross AKA Lurzmog | Balkhmog | Gobhoblin
  • Thanks! We have 70+ RSVPs so it should be fun!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

WeKnow.to © 2006-2017 All Rights Reserved