Want to chat with We Know members outside of WoW? Come join us by clicking the "Chat" tab above, or connecting through your favorite IRC Client to:
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #weknow
Law School Inquisition
  • Do we still have any JD's (or law school dropouts) hanging around? I've got a question or ten for you! For the past year or so, I've been mulling over (and in some cases, actually implementing) a variety of big changes to the direction of both my personal and professional lives. I've been leaning heavily toward getting out of design for a long time in order to do something "more important" (which is the easiest way to articulate it, if not the most accurate). I've been feeling that again even more keenly in the wake of Aaron Swartz's tragic death. One of the moves I've been considering that dovetails with that is the possibility of going to law school. It's a frightening prospect, both financially and because of my age, and I'd really like to ask a few questions and get some other perspectives on it before I make any decisions. Raise your hand if you think you can offer some insight and I'll pester you with annoying questions.
    Spencer Cross AKA Lurzmog | Balkhmog | Gobhoblin
  • Varo is one I can think of offhand, perhaps someone can point you to a way of getting a hold of him. Last I heard he was doing some sort of IP Lawyering in the Bay Area.
  • I've got Varo on FB and G+, though I haven't contacted him yet. I thought there might be others that I didn't know about. I'm pretty sure Devilby/Ozarks was an esquire, but I don't know if he's still around.
  • Isnt Ashalana in law school right now?
  • *raises hand*
    I have a handful of lawyers here at the office that I could hook you up with, Lurz. I also have access to a wide network of students.

And a shameless plug, just in case you're interested:

So You Wanna Be an Animal Lawyer?
    There exist only three respectable beings: the priest, the warrior, the poet. To know, to kill, and to create. -Charles Baudelaire
  • Thanks, Harp! I have a handful of direct connections I want to follow up with to start, but non-profit/charitable work is definitely something I want to talk to somebody about so I'll be in touch a bit down the road.
  • Feel free to ping me anytime Lurzmog. I have been practicing for 11 years now and so can give you some insight into what it is like generally.
  • Thanks, Varo. Will be in touch.
  • Yeah I'm way late for responding haha...but I'm kicking around 2nd year law at UBC in Vancouver Canada. Have you made the leap to go back yet or still figuring things out?
  • I decided I probably couldn't afford the amount of debt I was likely to incur doing the kind of work I want to do. But started reconsidering it at the beginning of the year and am on the verge of registering for June's LSAT.
  • Go for it - having the LSAT can't hurt and you can see how you score. If you want to improve it then you can practice more/take a course.

I know that some schools and states have debt forgiveness plans if you work in public interest law when you finish school. Nothing like that up here which really restricts my options when I'm done with regards to the kind of law I want to practice and the kind of law I will have to practice in order to pay bills.
  • That's kind of what I figured. Can't hurt to at least take it. I've looked into forgiveness programs, but what I found requires you to work 10 years (or more accurately, make 120 payments) before you can apply. Still a great program, but 10 years is a long time to be paying on a $100k+ loan balance if you're only making $40/50k a year. But again, that's another reason to take the LSAT: determining what kind of scholarship money I might qualify for.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

WeKnow.to © 2006-2017 All Rights Reserved