Want to chat with We Know members outside of WoW? Come join us by clicking the "Chat" tab above, or connecting through your favorite IRC Client to:
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #weknow
Activision Blizzard Secretly Watermarking World of Warcraft Users
  • Yikes: "...we managed to prove that all our WoW screenshots, since at least 2008, contain a custom watermark. This watermark includes our user IDs, the time the screenshot was captured and the IP address of the server we were on at the time."
    Spencer Cross AKA Lurzmog | Balkhmog | Gobhoblin
  • I'm not particularly offended if they're watermarking my screenshots. Account ID's in the battle.net world are email addresses, which aren't terribly private to begin with. I don't think there's any room for privacy on the Internet as a whole. The only concern to really have is to worry about targeted spam, but it seems like a lot of work to parse a bunch of screenshots (collecting them to begin with would be a pain) just to build a list of people to send phishing messages to. It's probably easier for them to just send stuff to *@yahoo.com and *@gmail.com.

I don't personally think that Blizzard has to notify the user that this data is placed into the screenshots and I don't think that Blizzard shouldn't be able to attempt to protect themselves through relatively non-invasive means such as this.

My gameplay experience isn't diminished by whether or not I can take a screenshot, but I could be under-reacting to this news. It's not like they've discovered Kennedy's assassin or what was on the 18.5 missing minutes of Nixon's tapes. Unless we already know those things, too, at which point they also aren't news :P

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

WeKnow.to © 2006-2017 All Rights Reserved