Want to chat with We Know members outside of WoW? Come join us by clicking the "Chat" tab above, or connecting through your favorite IRC Client to:
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #weknow
GEARTEETH is released!
  • It's midnight maaaaaaadness! Well, okay, it got put up earlier, but technically now that it's Thursday I can pimp the book lol. GEARTEETH is now out in e-book format, available as PDF as well for those without an e-reader. It's $5.99 for 150k words (over 600 pages after it got formatted), so it's a pretty good slice of pie for the price ;)

http://redrosepublishing.com/books/product_info.php?products_id=1287

As a first time author I have to hit the computerized bricks pretty hard, so please let anyone you know that's even vaguely interested in on the book's release. If they want a sample of my work they can even hit up my website, www.sraelkin.com, which has all the Jonathon Worthingtons and Stormhammer Brigade stories, a good 50k+ worth of free readings :)

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!
    Post edited by Zurena at 2012-08-09 12:31:26
    The chintacle can sense fear.
  • Congrats! I bet it beats that they promote next to your book.
  • Totally going to pick it up when I get to my other computer.

Err, well your book Mal...not this creepy one that Batseba posted..../cower
  • ROFL. Nothing like 3D rendered studly types to start your morning off... right? lol

(I know, the 'model' isn't rendered but damn he looks creepy)
  • LOL.

Well it is a romance publisher who is taking a chance on me and wants to expand into mainstream. Trust me, when reposting the link on Facebook I have to scroll through a few thumbnails of others before they actually let me find my book cover =P
  • This is great news! Can't wait to check it out!

Jexii | Mexiico | Jezaal
  • So when do they cover this/interview you on Sword and Laser :)
  • Awesome!
  • Wishing you all success! :)
  • of course, behind the scenes, he's bouncing around and pacing, muttering "buy my book, buy my book" - :p
  • :)
  • I went to buy it earlier, and it wouldn't let me....I will buy this book if its the last thing I do!
  • Nevermind...I have beaten the meanie face issue and I now has the book!
  • Rawr - you get 'em Sandrice!
  • Smack the mean up!

Hopefully the problems was caused by too many buying at once =P I don't actually have numbers yet on how well it's done out the gate. The novel tracker I'm supposed to be using is dependent on an Amazon link to count books sold directly on the RRP site, but Amazon is slower than molasses in January about getting the book up lol.

Let me know what you guys think of the book, I do listen ;)
  • It was an issue with my paypal account. I fixed it!
  • A man can dream =P
  • A friend of mine loves to read, and she's always looking to find a new book to read. So she sent me a text a few min ago and said that she bought it, and so did her sister.

See, Facebook promoting works wonders!
  • Oh good, so this book will be on amazon? I definitely prefer being able to easily deliver to my kindle. You said slow, how slow?

Jexii | Mexiico | Jezaal
  • Well it'll be on amazon 'eventually', as in they already submitted it but flying spaghetti monster only knows how long it'll take for Amazon to make it show up. Shouldn't be difficult to get the best version for the kindle tho, they offer a variety of file types you can download and then just upload to your cloud drive :)

And thank you Cas, very much. Word of mouth is incredibly important ... INCREDIBLY lol.
  • Woohoo, thanks to all you fine folks my book rocketed to the Number 1 spot on the "Daily Best Sellers" list from my publisher ;D

Later on today in thanks I'll have a new chapter up for Case 18 of the Jonathon Worthington files! (Which totally has nothing to do with m e working all week on it. Honest. Swear =P )
    Post edited by Maloch at 2012-08-10 11:11:53
  • I added Gearteeth to Goodreads.
  • Sweet! Thank you!
  • As promised, another Jonathon Worthington chapter is now up on the website! (www.sraelkin.com)
  • and it's about dang time too!!!!

sheesh!

....*finds nearest hiding spot*
  • Will the book be available through iBooks?
  • Hmmm, looking at the wikipedia entry I'm not sure; can iBooks read PDF files? Those are the bog-standard basic type of file the book will come on. The default file types you can choose when you purchase it are:
    .html
    .pdf
    .lit
    .mobi
    .prc
    .epub

From the quickie research I just did it looks like both the .pdf and .epub versions of the book are compatible with the iBook. If you mean will it be in their store ... I honestly have no idea. Assuming you have a way to load the file into your iBook you can buy it and load it manually; I know there's some kind of talks going on right now between the publisher and Apple about an iPhone contract for the catalog of books, but I'm clueless as to what that would mean to you as my tech skills are quite limited.
  • yeah ibooks can read PDF although its not a good format for the ipod or iphone, its probably better on an ipad but it is readable on one!
  • I owns me a copy!
    But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. That happens to me sometimes.
  • Wheeeeeeeee!

Slipped to Number 2 today, but at least I'm still on the top-seller list lol. Was hoping I wasn't a one-day wonder ;)

Highland "I want to wear your skin crazy eyes" Jack is the only one to defeat me =P
    Post edited by Maloch at 2012-08-11 10:20:08
  • I'll buy multiple copies if it means we can push crazy eyed Jack off the front page.
  • ROFLOL.

I'm edge of my seat to know what's sold so far, but due to the publisher having to attend a funeral and Amazon still not having GT up, I don't have the vaguest idea of what my numbers are looking like =P
  • BTW, apparently Wardenclyffe, the site of about half the book, is up for sale and The Oatmeal is trying to save it and build a Tesla museum:

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/tesla_museum

I just got off the phone with my publisher and she's going to work with him to make sure a portion of GEARTEETH's proceeds go to him for the charity drive :)
  • The Oatmeal dude's heart's in the right place but his physics are terrible. Tesla was a great scientist and inventor and also kind of a crazy kook. No, he wasn't going to supply the entire earth with wireless electricity. And Wardenclyffe sounds like a singularly terrible place to put a museum. Not exactly the high-traffic part of LI.

It's your money but this idea seems really half-baked, at this point.
  • Technically it's the publisher's money; but it is a historical spot, and I do feel a bit indebted to its memory. Probably not the best place for a museum, but it does have a lot of meaning to the man's life /shrug

EDIT: Doesn't matter anyway; apparently the publisher misunderstood my proposal and thought I was volunteering my royalties up (instead of the corporate sponsorship I was proposing). If I'm going to divert a section of funds from my pocket I might as well get the tax write-off for it ;)
    Post edited by Maloch at 2012-08-19 20:37:20
  • Chapter 4 of the freebie series "Jonathon Worthington, Strangelight Investigator" is up at my website, http://sraelkin.com
    Post edited by Maloch at 2012-08-31 16:32:45
  • I ordered this back on August 9, but had some issues getting the download enabled. I should be getting the book shortly however.

I am looking forward to reading it finally.
  • D'oh, if you'd have let me know bud I could of ... complained too lol. The publisher already slapped me on the wrist a little for sending out copies to folks having trouble downloading it, and while I understand her position I want people to be able to read it without hassle =P
  • No worries. I have it loaded up in my iPad and ready to go. Gearteeth is first in the queue!
  • Woohoo! Let me know what you think of it :)
  • The first review of my book is out, and wow! I'm extremely happy the book made the reviewer extremely happy :)

http://paranormallibrarian.blogspot.com/2012/09/gearteeth-satisfies-need-for-steam-and.html
  • Oh man, that's awesome. Grats Mal!
  • $5.99 on the Kindle. But Mal, do you get a better cut if I buy straight from RedRose?
  • I believe I get the same cut either way; buy whatever's easier on you, bud, I'm not going to quibble on a few percent ;)

EDIT: As an aside, thanks for letting me know it's up on Amazon/Kindle, that's awesome!
    Post edited by Maloch at 2012-09-25 01:45:50
  • On a reviewer's recommendation (I got spotlighted at http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2012/09/spotlight-on-some-recent-sff-titles-of.html) I pulled down the dinky excerpt of the book on my site and put up the entirety of Chapter 1 as a free sample; enjoy!

http://sraelkin.com
  • This is so exciting to hear about.

The new GEARTEETH shirt we got silk-screened for Steamstock so that I can be my own walking billboard :)
    Post edited by Maloch at 2012-10-05 20:09:29
  • Gnostalgia just put up a glowing review of GEARTEETH!

http://gnostalgia.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/review-gearteeth/

A word on the usage of the "n" word; the story takes place in 1910, and while I despise the word as well, it would be disingenuous to have the worst racists not use it. Fortunately the two times it gets used teeth get knocked in/shot at. I have a simple rule in the GT trilogy: every time someone uses the word they get pummeled mercilessly :)
  • Awesome to see all the good press. I'm really happy for you bud. You worked hard and you deserve it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

WeKnow.to © 2006-2017 All Rights Reserved