Want to chat with We Know members outside of WoW? Come join us by clicking the "Chat" tab above, or connecting through your favorite IRC Client to:
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #weknow
Pandaria Beta Begins
  • Hmmm I think I should go to bed.

Edited to redact beta-specific info!
    Post edited by swirly at 2012-04-06 06:21:24
    If you want to stop being called on your bad behavior, stop behaving badly.
  • So far, no one's been on that I can see, no one will group with me, random horde are running by and ganking me when I'm in the middle of fighting stuff, twice now I've been on a collection (like Thrall as elemental) quest and been team ganked while already low on health losing all of my progress.

Why are we on a PVP server again?
  • I haven't had a chance to play alot this past week, hopefully the weekend time should free up!
    Sandrika, Crazan, Squeatus To often we post in anger, when waiting and thinking and letting that boiling pot settle would be sooo much better.
  • I put swirly on the regular server too so I can do the content. I think I'll be leveling smites and targasso in dungeons lol
  • A few words of warning:

If you have not logged in since yesterday's patch, you MUST go into your video options and set your viewing distance to GOOD or LOW before you choose a character. Setting it to GOOD may cause WoW to look in your DVD drive for wow.exe and then have an assertion exception. (Seriously, an ASSERTION exception, Blizzard? WTF?) If you have this problem, set it to low instead. If you log in and "OMG WHY IS EVERYTHING HOT PINK LIKE SWIRLY'S HAIR? I'M BLIND!" you either failed to change your viewing distance, or you have to change your video options to GOOD or LOW.

All ground spawns are broken for all new areas (perhaps old ones too). Since all of the new starting questlines have a collection quest, this causes a blocker for all new questlines. My new panda is stuck at the farm, unable to collect veggies. Swirlie (on Lost Isles) is stuck on at least 6 questlines and I can't find any more. This is affecting both US servers, and likely all servers.

Mirror image targeting bug is back. Remove Firelands tier if you still have the two piece bonus. Avoid Mirror Images except on bosses and on "OMG I'M GONNA DIE" but seriously, they only last 0.8 seconds anyway, so basically they pull stuff for you and then die. Thanks, other Swirlies! Sometimes, they even hit the mob you're attacking and then stop like you killed it, while you continue fighting. I swear that they look right at the mob when this happens, just to taunt me.

DPS: take defensive talents. There are no addons. Your healer is likely going to have problems healing you quickly. I took Ice Barrier on Swirlie and it saved me a LOT.

Dungeon pointers:
    • General:
      1. Run back in, unless you are on the third boss and there are two men standing. They will be dead soon and she will smite you too.
      2. Supposedly, bosses 3+ have been buffed and OMG OW. Bring the well-geared toons for now.
    • Boss 1: some water dude on a platform. Meh.
      1. Phase 1: Stay out of water, kill adds. They spawn in sequence out of the fountains in the corners, so it's like Siamat in Tol'vir, only with designated spawn points.
      2. Phase 2: Stay out of water, run clockwise, win. Do not blink if you are facing the entrance. You will land off of the platform, out of LOS of the healer, and have to run back up.
    • Boss 2: "Awwwwww, lookit the cute floppity muppets of HEY STOP HITTING ME!"
      • Is magetankable! Thanks random healer who managed to keep me alive while I solo DPSed both mobs for over 7 minutes! (And thanks Ice Barrier for making me the last not-heals standing!) I actually solo killed one of them after the tank and the other 2 dps died at about 15%. Anyway....
      • The mobs get a stack of debuff; it goes to 10 (not 11). 10 is bad. Stop dps and switch to the other mob when stacks get high-- even the tank should switch and stop AOEing. Just announce at the beginning that we will be starting with the one on the left, and call for a switch. Stacks drop after not being hit for a while.
    • Boss 3: "Awww lookit the cute goth panda girl! Why am I dead?")
      1. Phase 1: Either stand VERY CLOSE to the boss or at max range. She spawns a ring of firewalls that you must step between, at a diameter from her body. If you are close, you will be inside them; if you are far, you will have more strafe time. She hits the tank for 80k occasionally. Good luck.
      2. Phase 2: "Gee, that dragon sure is pret... OMG WHY IS EVERYONE DEAD?" Green poo is poo. It ticks at 80k, 50k if you have ice barrier up. Good luck. And OMG RUN! You can pull the dragon into the foyer to get out of the massive pool of green poo, but it will spawn additional poo in that room too. It DOES help, so for now this is a functional strat. Pulling the dragon out of the room does not cause any despawn issues at this time. (I suspect that this will change.)
    • Boss 4: Evil Albino Ravager Puppy Wants McGnomets with Extra BBQ Sauce, plus the Ghosts of "STOP HITTING YOURSELF!")
      1. Phase 1: tank and spank.
      2. Phase 2: "STOP HITTING YOURSELF!" The boss spawns "shadows of doubt" which you must eliminate. They are evil clones of the players, tethered to the player from whom they are cloned and at least immediately after spawn, hitting that player. These are melee adds, so mages, pop fire armor before the fight. They grow bigger and moar evil and I don't think they are tankable. Single target them, starting with the one on the healer. Since you don't have quickmark, tab target until you find one low on health once the healer's clone is dead. SOMEONE will be hitting their own clone instead of the healer's; find that clone. Failing to kill clones heals the boss. Supposedly. Was too busy hitting myself to verify. Evil Swirlies are immune to frost nova.

Annnnd naptime.
    Post edited by swirly at 2012-04-07 19:00:41
  • Complete list of Swirly toons on Gilneas:
    Swirlie
    Smitesalot
    Targasso
    Yungpandawan
    Oldpandawan

Don't you dare steal my panda name. I know where you live.
  • The beta is basically unplayable now, especially on Gilneas.

Ground collection quest items are still not respawning. Ever. All new zones have questlines with ground collection within the first few quests, and they're sequential, so everyone is stuck. This includes the Edict, so you only THOUGHT you were stuck at the Edict before.

In the Vanilla world, NPCs are not respawning. In the case of Gilneas, this resulted in a Horde raid on SW, killing every NPC except for the Auctioneers and the Panda that ports you to Pandaland. They have not respawned. (Most likely, the auctioneers and the guards actually did die but have a separate respawn timer.) It's been at least 16 hours. There are no inn keepers, no bankers, no flight master, no quest givers, etc. We likely paid Horde back as well. Supposedly, mobs are also not respawning in the old world. I have not tested this and it was reported by someone from Grumpy Old Farts who seems both grumpy and not especially informative or literate, so I question its validity.

These two combined mean that questing is at a standstill. Gilneas is empty. On the other hand, this is a perfect opportunity to go do some questlines (up until you get a collection quest) without worrying too much about getting ganked. You'll still occasionally get ganked. And your body won't despawn. But you'll respawn and even gankers are getting bored with the low traffic. Also, low traffic means that "is this ground collection quest still broken? I still can't find the items" and "OMG WHY IS EVERYTHING PINK" only happens in local every few minutes now, as opposed to every 10 seconds. The interesting thing about the pinkness is that some people ask why everything is purple, so some players have problems identifying the color pink.

In order to use most portals, including mage portals, you much have a rune of teleportation in your bags. Just don't try to give one to a premade to help them out, because it can cause a bag failure and subsequent crash. Premades can loot them from a mailbox though, so mail them to yourself if you are stuck in Pandaland. I heard that there is a vendor that sells runes there, but I couldn't find one. Oh, about vendors: to buy anything, you have to first change the dropdown at the top of the vendor screen to no longer list your spec-- even the food vendor, who for some reason doesn't try to sell alcohol to Drunk Monks.

There was a workaround for the portal bug listed somewhere that involves deleting your hearthstone and hitting the "unstuck" function. However, in the case of premade Pandaren Monks, this appears to be the seppuku function. It said "Do you want to port to the graveyard?" I didn't know that meant "Do you want your ghost to port to the graveyard, like right now?"

All of this said, you probably don't want to go to SW anyway. The Mage Tower is busted and you can only get out of it by toggling walk mode and going through the portal at a slight angle, slightly to the right of center, several times. If you're a premade, you probably don't want a mage port to IF as a substitute for SW anyway, since you will only have the flight paths to Shattered Sun Staging Area and Zul'Aman, and there's no tram. Thankfully, you can autorun most of the length of the tram route while in another window. That said, once you get there, you won't be able to set your hearth, get the flight path, or basically do anything besides use the AH and port back to Pandaland. While you can go to GoldShire and get the FP there, that FP doesn't connect to IF except through SW, which you won't have.

Finally, in today's most shocking temper tantrum, someone is having a cow in the bug forums because the game "sucks so far," by which he means that collection quests are broken, but his REAL problem is that collection quests have been broken since FRIDAY on EASTER WEEKEND! Why has Blizzard not fixed this yet? NERRRRRRRRDRAAAAAAAAAAGE When he was told that he's whining and that there is a designated whining forum that is NOT the bug forum, he started reporting people and telling them to enjoy their forum bans. The quality of the trolling in the beta has been fairly low but the countertrolling has been entertaining as usual.

This has been your Easter Sunday beta update. Man, I wish it were drinking season.
  • Beta access has arrived!
    I've transferred 2 toons over to Gilneas 1 Alliance 1 Horde
    Zurena - Warrior (duh)
    Chrysopoeia - Mage (sorry...my horde toons (almost) all have some gold related name. Sometimes I google up some hard to spell words.)

I'll be rolling a Panda too.

Now to complete the setup.

Panda name is Erdana.
    Post edited by Zurena at 2012-04-15 14:13:45
  • I started a guild charter on Zurena - if you have a time that you're going to be on let me know so we can set up. I figured having the guild make it easier to see when a guildie is on if for no other reason.
    Post edited by Zurena at 2012-04-15 14:17:26
  • I figured we already had the guild set up. I can log into Swirlie in a few. I was just in but trying to adjust my video options DCed me. LOL
  • Yeah I find I'm quite good at DCing from the Server by alt tabbing. And then I have to exit all the way out before going back in.
  • Ok, been setting up my bars, spells and key bindings and noticed a number of differences for Arms (and to some extent Fury) warrior.

1) Stances have changed significantly - Stance Dance is mostly gone. Battle is for Single target and Berserker is for AOE.
    Depending on timing of cooldowns AOE damage might use a little stance dancing. I've done no math so take that into consideration, but the tooltips are:

Battle - Damage increased by 10%
    Berserker Whirlwind Cleave increased by 30%, Dragon roar by 15%

(I chose Dragon Roar for the AOE talent I would assume that Bladestorm & Shockwave also get a 15% buff in Berserker.

A number of spells appear to be gone (or I've missed it in my looking) but from what I can see the following spells are missing from my Arms book:
    Rend
    Inner Rage
    Deadly Calm
    Demo Shout (probably to be replaced by Demoralizing Banner at 87)

Other than disrupting shout (and a number of prot and some fury talents being "default warrior talents) I'm not seeing new spells in place of the removed. Overall arms is simplified significantly without the stance dance or the shouts to utilize.

I've just headed off to the landing for the leveling quests, we'll see how it looks. I'll be playing with the tanking spec later and will see what I can find.
  • Zurena said:

Yeah I find I'm quite good at DCing from the Server by alt tabbing. And then I have to exit all the way out before going back in.

I made a post in the forums about the alt-tab DC and subsequent DCs. Please add to the bug. :) I noticed that the constant DC problem happens only if the animations are running at double speed. If you continue to alt-tab, you can occasionally get the client to stop running the animations at double speed, at which time you can log in without the constant DC problem.

Also, I am apparently not allowed to say that my Gnomes appear to be coming down off of meth in the WoW forums. I should file a bug that "meth" is considered a curse word.

The alt-tab bug* really does impair the ability to look up or file issues. (Edit: corrected ambiguous pronoun before I got complaints.)

If I remember correctly from what's been said in local, rend is now included in attacks instead of being a separate attack.
    Post edited by swirly at 2012-04-16 16:17:06
  • I'm on again, although I did have to alt-tab to send this, so I may DC in a sec. ;) I'll be on for a while.
  • LOL I think that time I got about 8x speed out of the Deathwing animation in the background of the login screen. Hyperventilating obscene phone calling evil dragon!
  • Added to the thread.
    And yeah, any drug terms (except reasonably ambiguous ones like "pot" which could refer to a cooking vessel) are considered "obscene" by the filter.
    I know I triggered the obscene filter one time entirely by accident and it took me quite a while to figure out what term I used was common slang for some drug or something. Of course I don't remember what it was now.
  • Blizzard, we have a problem.
  • Good point about the one copy of the game in that post, Z. I'm going to check in the Mac forum to ask about an install on a second OS. I'll uninstall on my PC if I can only have one copy but it seems silly for a beta to limit users to a single OS.
  • If you want to stop being called on your bad behavior, stop behaving badly.
  • Having googled up the slang...yeah I think that would sort of be like "pot" being assumed to be a pot...and that pot stickers are not made with <noun redacted>, while brownies might be.
    Post edited by Zurena at 2012-04-16 20:15:39
  • I finally have a beta invite! Yeay! Z I face booked you, let me know when Youc an be on and I will log on as well and sign the charter
  • Well, I finally got my internet issues worked out and my Mac back into the world, only to discover that in order to get the beta to install, I have to upgrade to Lion. So when I've had enough alcohol to convince myself that it doesn't matter if I lose use of that computer and several days of my life, I'll get right on that.
  • I just upgraded to Lion. I'm a lifelong Mac fanatic, but I hate it.
    Spencer Cross AKA Lurzmog | Balkhmog | Gobhoblin
  • I finally figured out how to get my scroll bars back. (Not that hard to do...just hadn't bothered to look until it annoyed me too much.) (Preferences -> General)
  • "I thought I could carry a lot... until I saw all the crud you carry around in those bags o' yers."

Oh, so true.
  • Does anyone else have this issue in the Beta? I can't play for more than 3 min without WoW crashing. If I'm questing or fighting creatures etc. I have only completed two quests at level 85. Leveling a monk I got a bit further.

Jexii | Mexiico | Jezaal
  • I do have a problem that if I use colossal smash I will cause a crash. Apparently there is some problem with apply debuffs to mobs that I'm guessing is also causing the CS bug. (It doesn't happen every time I hit it but it will occur within 1-4 applications of it in a session.)
  • That's fine, CS is no big deal. :)
    a/k/a Victarious
  • Jexii said:

Does anyone else have this issue in the Beta? I can't play for more than 3 min without WoW crashing. If I'm questing or fighting creatures etc. I have only completed two quests at level 85. Leveling a monk I got a bit further.

There are a lot of crash-related bugs. I don't know how many of these still apply:
    • Priests can't open their talent tree
    • Frost mage AOE can cause a crash. I haven't had any problems with arcane mage using frost AOE attacks.
    • Rake can cause a crash (basically, don't play a kitteh). This may be related to the debuff issue that Z's encountered. I haven't had issues with my debuffs but my debuffs don't do damage, so it could be damage debuffs
    • There is an area in the second zone where people kill turtles. The turtles have an attack that crashes everyone in the area. If the attack is interrupted, you can avoid a crash but you will still crash based on other people's mobs not being interrupted. The range on the crash is "within the viewing area" so pulling the turtles away from other players and facing away from the pond helps. I suspect that if Jexii is having issues at 85 that she's not at that section yet, but it is painful.
    • PVP attacks by certain classes can cause a crash, which of course means that the ganking jerkfaces are having a field day. If I remember correctly, locks, mages, and rogues have an attack that can crash people.

I haven't heard complaints about Shaman-specific issues but they do have damage-causing debuffs. See if you can figure out what the pattern is. Some areas have issues (like the turtle pond), some quests have issues, some attacks have issues, some UI features have issues. I've learned to avoid most of the crashes so if you could give more details about what you're doing, that would help with diagnosis.
  • This just in: "To all elemental shamans, earthquake causes me to crash when cast. I just tested it out to triple check and it is just earthquake."

About the mailbox in wayward landing, you must complete the first two quests for the mailbox to appear. The mailbox is in a phased zone. LOL So if you sent your premade some runes of teleportation so that the portals would work for you, do the first two quests to access the mailbox.
  • We are actively trying to fill the guild charter at this exact moment, with a group of us standing in SW looking for people. We need additional accounts to fill the charter, so please log in if you are able.
  • The charter is signed and turned in. Everyone should be able to invite members. The charter signers were given officer privileges since they showed up and _someone_ has to write funny guild MOTDs. Happy Betaing.
  • Lemme know if anyone wants an invite to the beta guild :)
  • Or me since I'm actually logged in. O.o

The searching by guild name bug has been fixed, so you should be able to find us now.
  • I got two words for you: Unruly Alemental.
  • We need someone to set up guild bank tabs and give people access. There's a vendor in the dungeon that sells the glyph removal book and the new bandages so I picked up some stacks to donate. However, I have access to zero bank tabs, likely because we haven't bought any with our half a gazillion gold.
  • Do we actually have that much gold in there!?
  • If I recall correctly, guilds get half a million gold. It's to pay for the inevitable crash-based repairs or something.

Have I mentioned the turtles? THE HORROR! Speaking of crashing...

[insert blink tag here]VERY IMPORTANT NOTE

There is a partial solution to the crashing issue, which is to switch the client from DirectX 11 to DirectX 9. This can be done in the launcher before you open the game by going to options> game preferences and changing the "Graphics API" setting.

This HELPS with crashing in the dungeons, because of DoTs, and in the Turtles of Bubbly Doom* Zone but does not eliminate the problem. I highly recommend changing this setting if you intend to play much and then set it back after the next patch.

* There is a group of turtles in the second zone that have a special attack and a special defense move. The attack shoots bubbles at you and is interruptable. If you can interrupt it, do. The defense is for him to retreat into his shell; stop attacking IMMEDIATELY. Failure to do these either of these two things crashes everyone in the area. If you get the quest "The Meat They'll Eat," just don't even bother; it results in dozens of crashes even for people who know how to avoid the problems. Because we are on a PVP server, people who are less likely to crash (because they've changed to ActiveX 9) are hanging out in the area ganking crashed people.
  • Well I'm not seeing any of the gazillion gold but I bought 2 bank tabs and set up the perms so everyone should be able to get 20 stacks of stuff out and deposit stuff. If we need a higher withdrawal limit or some such just let me know. I think I set all the perms correctly.
  • In terms of stability this has been the worst of the 3 WOW betas that I've been involved in. I'm guessing September at the earliest for a live date.

Panda starting zone is quite nice tho.
    Post edited by Zoriana at 2012-04-23 06:47:58
  • The servers have been stable. The client has been really unstable since the last patch but it was fairly stable before the patch so I suspect that the major stability issues won't be terrible to work out. I'm expecting a major stability increase after the next patch. People will stop playing if the crashing issue isn't worked out.
  • I logged into the Beta today to check it out again. It's unplayable right now. I've crashed twice while just standing around in Orgrimmar reading my spellbook, or traveling from point A to point B. I hope they can get these issues worked out soon.
  • Patches have traditionally been released on Fridays apparently (which is stupid imo). Hopefully, there will be a patch this week.
  • So do you guys think girly Pandas are worth reactivating an account for? hehe! Has anyone been able to level up yet?
  • the pandas are fun imo. The lvling content is well.... lvling I have not had a chance to play the instances and such yet. Overall I like it.
    Sandrika, Crazan, Squeatus To often we post in anger, when waiting and thinking and letting that boiling pot settle would be sooo much better.
  • Any idea on when the expansion will be released? So far this prediction info is all I could find (* are predictions). . .

Beta dates Length
    Burning Crusade October 12, 2006 to January 15, 2007 3 months, 3 days (95 days)
    Wrath July 7, 2008 to November 12, 2008 4 months, 5 days (128 days)
    Cataclysm June 30, 2010 to December 6, 2010 5 months, 6 days (159 days)
    Mists (long) *March 20, 2012 to Sept. 27 *6 mo., 7 days (191 days)
    Mists (short) *March 20, 2012 to July 20 *4 months (122 days)

Patch 2.0.1 December 5, 2006 1 month, 1 week, 5 days (43 days)
    Patch 3.0.2 October 14, 2008 1 month (31 days)
    Patch 4.0.1 October 12, 2010 1 month, 3 weeks, 5 days (57 days)
    Patch 5.0.1 (long) *August 15, 2012 *1 month, 2 weeks
    Patch 5.0.1 (short) *June 6, 2012 *1 month, 2 weeks

So if the beta was openned ~ March 21st and is predicted to last ~ 6 months + 1 month for the patch we might be looking at an October release date? Maybe they will even hold off for 2 more months as to release it around Christmas time.
    Post edited by Liemian at 2012-05-17 17:20:45
  • july imo.
  • Especially with the "We're trying to get things out faster" and "There won't be another Ruby Sanctum this expansion" comments I'm inclined to go with July. (Quotes are paraphrases of course.)
  • it's just so weird . . . 4.3.0 was released in December (and with it the lvl 85 Heroic dungeons and openning of the legendary dagger questline) so if they go with a July release of MoP that means you have 7 months to gear up and get the daggers before they become obsolete and to get the daggers takes 4 months of raiding. So you only get a month or so to actually enjoy the daggers?
  • The second dates in the 'Beta' category are to release, so there's no extra month for patch. The most accurate predictor seems to be about 6 weeks (give or take) after patch for release. If that's to be believed, a July date seems a little early unless the 5.something patch drops right about now.

Most of the buyers are current or returning customers, not Christmas shoppers so you probably don't need to worry about Blizzard 'holding off' on release, though.

P.S. A bit of googling also shows the patches so far have spent about a month on the PTR. So your first solid clues of a release date are probably going to be 5.whatnot making its way to a PTR release.
    Post edited by hronk at 2012-05-18 00:15:47

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

WeKnow.to © 2006-2018 All Rights Reserved