Want to chat with We Know members outside of WoW? Come join us by clicking the "Chat" tab above, or connecting through your favorite IRC Client to:
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #weknow
Pandaria Beta Begins
  • Looks like they are beginning the "Mists" beta! Annual pass holders aren't invite yet but looks like will be in the "near" future!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/4664620/World_of_Warcraft_Mists_of_Pandaria_Beta_is_Live-3_21_2012#blog
  • wow some cool new glyphs.

Glyph of Stars - Your Moonkin Form ability is replaced with Astral Form, conferring all the same benefits, but now appearing as an astrally enhanced version of your normal humanoid form.

Glyph of the Stag - Your Travel Form now appears as a Stag and can be used as a mount by party members.

Glyph of Nightmares - Your Felsteed and Dreadsteed can cross water while running and leave a trail of flames.

Glyph of Murder of Crows - Your Execute critical strikes summon a flock of carrion birds.

Glyph of Burning Anger - You get so angry when Enraged that you catch on fire

Sandrika, Crazan, Squeatus To often we post in anger, when waiting and thinking and letting that boiling pot settle would be sooo much better.
  • Sandrika said:

wow some cool new glyphs.
    Glyph of Burning Anger - You get so angry when Enraged that you catch on fire

that is awesome rofl
  • Wow, Glyph of Stars actually sounds pretty awesome, and a nice workaround to 'I don't wanna be a boom-chicken'. I gotta admit, all the changes are pretty cool-sounding. Although there is one I'd like to see added:

Glyph of Star Wars: Your sword becomes a lightsaber =P
    The chintacle can sense fear.
  • Wow @ Glyph of Stars!
  • Maloch said:

I think with current technology that would just drop the FPS, add a lot of load screens, clunkify the combat and mysteriously make all the endgame content disappear. Would be pretty neat if there were some way to make it work, though!
  • hronk said:

Maloch said:

I think with current technology that would just drop the FPS, add a lot of load screens, clunkify the combat and mysteriously make all the endgame content disappear. Would be pretty neat if there were some way to make it work, though!

Would also come with an exclusive non-upgradeable yellow color crystal.
  • On the other side of the equation, it could also make you actually care about the story rather than just hitting the 'accept' button as fast as possible ;)
    The chintacle can sense fear.
  • You can have your pandas, I'll keep my sith assassin. We'll have to meet up in D3 or Titan I guess.
    Post edited by Belgera at 2012-03-23 01:16:46
    But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. That happens to me sometimes.
  • Now you do have to admit part of the reason we jam the accept button so quickly is that quest givers have this nasty habit of walking away while you are reading the quest text.
  • If I really cared about story in a game as much as people want it to be important, I would get a book, or many books. Story is cool, but so is playability, breath of stuff to do, and the amount of friends online to shoot the breeze with.
    I love gnomes.
  • Well, I didn't know if I would get excited about MoP to come back, but the glyphs for DKs and especially warriors are looking pretty fun!

Now I'm sort of unhappy that they took away Renew and Binding Heal from Disc priests, but it's beta so hopefully it comes back.
  • I thought in GW2, everyone can Renew and Binding Heal, thujo.
  • but disc priests didnt use renew anyway >.>
  • Leonhart said:

but disc priests didnt use renew anyway >.>

I totally did when I was on the run!

That is true Hronk, and I am looking forward to that as well!
  • I just got my invite and am downloading the client.
  • Same here!
    Sandrika, Crazan, Squeatus To often we post in anger, when waiting and thinking and letting that boiling pot settle would be sooo much better.
  • JEALOUS!
  • I am on the Gilneas server if we wanna all go to the same place. maybe try out some new raids or dungeons later
  • 03/30/2012

Received an email telling me I've been chosen for the WoWMoP Beta. Mixed feelings about this. In SWTOR I play a beet-red 7ft tall female sith with glowing yellow eyes and a mohawk. In STO I've reached the rank of Commander with a full complement of crew and duty officers aboard the U.S.S. ANGRY BEES. Remains to be seen whether I can stomach the cutesiness of pandas without yarping.

03/31/2012

Oh that's typical. They've put the Beta on the 2nd account I set up 6 or 7 months ago to transfer some items from alliance to horde and haven't used since. They're letting me download the files, however. We shall see whether or not they'll let me actually run the Beta without having to fork over more cash to reactivate my lapsed subscription.

I should have started the download last night before I went to bed, because this is going to take a while. Time to go shoot down some X-Wing fighters in SWTOR while I wait. Will keep you posted.
  • Leonhart said:

I am on the Gilneas server if we wanna all go to the same place. maybe try out some new raids or dungeons later

Will you eventually be Alliance or Horde? I am currently rolling on the Gilneas server, will check back here before it's decision time.
  • I am Chunderfist on Gilneas
  • Got Trizioo and Shinja on Gilneas
  • Ill try to get everyone added as a friend...Add me as Leonhart as well
    and we'll try to get the guild thing goin as well
    Post edited by Leonharrt at 2012-04-01 23:45:23
  • Test it really well, or I'll blame you guys! :P
  • I'm Pandapalooza on Gilneas, I have also copied my priest Lucre over because I can't stand my panda.

*Edit - Lol! They made me rename Lucre so look for Sweetness on Gilneas.
    Post edited by Runtimerror at 2012-04-02 12:52:43
  • 03/31/2012

My thoughts so far: Logged in on Saturday morning. It was VERY busy! There were around 30 to 40 Pandas on the screen in front of me. The game handled this well without sticking or jagging, I was impressed.

The scenery is breathtakingly beautiful. The music is pretty and well done and similar to the music in the blood elf starting area, only with an Asian twist. Some of the quests were hard to complete with so many players in the area at the same time, but overall the leveling was a smooth experience. I DO wish my character could run in a straight line without sashaying back and forth, but I'm just gritting my teeth and ignoring her to concentrate on the externals.

For some reason I'm unable to adjust the UI scale so I'm having trouble reading the quest texts. I'm just kind of skimming through everything and progressing through the zone, but it's kind of a shame, because I'm missing a lot of the story. I am able to glean enough, however to be somewhat uncomfortable with the general trend and philosophy of the story. I really prefer to keep religion and video games separate.

04/03/2012

Logged on really late (or early, 2:00 am) to check it out with no one in the zone. There were only around 20 people on, but the game chat was still lively. I feel really stupid about this but I finally found out why I couldn't adjust my UI. I didn't realize there was a box to the left of the slider that I had to check. Duh! What a difference! Suddenly everything looks normal again.

There are no trainers anywhere in the zone. They aren't needed. As you level and gain skills, they are automatically dropped onto your action bar. I reached level 10 and it was time to select a specialty. I rolled a mage instead of a monk since I'm just not really good at melee. I chose frost since it's it's so much fun to play and I won't be raiding on this character. The first thing I needed to do after that was alt-tab out of the game and and type "How to disable the water elemental sound" into Google. There was an answer right in the Battle.net forums that was up to date at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/970017166?page=1 . I followed the directions and it worked just fine. (I scanned the .ogg file with Norton before opening it just in case, lol)

I also copied both my priest and my mage over. Was going to run a few of the new dungeons, but realized I need to copy over all my macros as well. Ran out of time, so when I get a chance I'll do that this week.

My feelings so far are that this expansion is going to have tremendous appeal to children and female players who may not have been interested in video games in the past. However, the core 18-35 male market may be somewhat turned off by it. I know my sons would echo the same thought that was expressed in game chat by someone who said "This is lame." Even though Gilneas is a PVP world, I was unable to gank any of the trolls and afkers who were blocking the item that needed to be clicked in order to complete the "Burn the Edict of Temperance" quest last Saturday. I'm going to log in a bit today and get my toon off the giant turtle's back and onto the mainland. Will write more afterwards.
  • Give the lvl 85 -90 zones a try they feel alot diff imo
  • The "Burn the Edict of Temperance" is a real pain. However, there is a trick to it - the key clickable spot is right at the top of the scroll - no-one is actually blocking it. Once you find out where it is (it is a fairly small zone where the cursor turn into that gear thing) it is just a matter of being quick to click.

Until I found it out, that quest was a major, major frustration.
    Post edited by Varolokkur at 2012-04-03 17:54:19
  • I ended up just typing /use Edict of Temperance in my chat window when the scroll respawned to finish the quest. And I will try the 85-90 zones, forgot about that!
  • I am on the beta as Skreath and Skrank mostly.
  • Someday...when my invite comes...I will be there with bells on. But until then...keep posting things. It sustains me.
  • 04/03/2012

I got my panda to main today, or rather, off the turtle's back and to Orgrimmar. Since I already have both RTE and Lucre copied over on the alliance side, I decided to go horde with Pandapalooza.

Once I finished the final quest and selected Horde, a message popped onto my screen which said "Video of joining the Horde and traveling to Orgrimmar via hot air balloon", so they don't have that part done yet. I was deposited just outside the main gate of Org and greeted with a panda from the starter zone who told me I needed to go meet Garrosh Hellscream. Luckily I know where Garrosh is located, because it wasn't marked on the map.

After finding Garrosh, he directed me to meet him in the Valley of Honor. Once again, it was a good thing I know my way around Orgrimmar because nothing was marked on my map. The orcs didn't seem very happy to see me in their city. I don't blame them. These barf-baggedly cute pandas DO NOT BELONG in Orgrimmar, and I think the orcs showed remarkable restraint by limiting themselves to a few rude comments.

When I got to the Valley of Honor, Garrosh directed me to go to the arena behind him and fight a few baddies to prove that I can fight. There were a group of us who came to a dead end here in the story, because when we tried to go through the portal we all got a "Transfer Aborted: instance not found" message. So it looks like the panda story ends here for now. It's probably a bit more developed and may even be finished over on the alliance side, which is understandable, because I don't see many people who would be inclined to choose horde also wanting to roll pandas. Unless it's the other kind of roll, that is.

So, I logged onto RTE to check out the new 85-90 zone. I looked around Stormwind, but didn't see any yellow "!" on my map. I pulled up my world map but couldn't find any new areas marked anywhere. Back to Google I went to find out how to get to Pandaria. I am a master at overlooking the glaringly obvious, because not 3 steps away from me, beside the bank, under a lunar spotlight is a Portal Panda who will port you right to the new zone. I reached the starting area, which is very beautiful, then realized I don't have my talents picked, my macros copied over or my keybindings set. I decided to log and start fresh another day.
  • I just got an invite and now I have to figure out a way to get my good computer back online so I can play.

I think I need to learn how to video capture wow so I can make Swirly Guides to the dungeons. ;)
    If you want to stop being called on your bad behavior, stop behaving badly.
  • Complete drinking game rules included!?
  • That would have to be a second video, I think. ;
  • Which OS do you run on? I can make SW suggestions for Windows & Mac.
  • For video capture? I'd be recording on my Mac since it doesn't suck and it has After Effects. :)
  • Doesn't the WoW client have built-in video capture?
    Spencer Cross AKA Lurzmog | Balkhmog | Gobhoblin
  • Yes, but it isn't a particularly efficient capture and has more of an impact on performance than external products (as I understand it.) Let me see if I actually have the 2 I have used on this computer so I can get the names right.
  • Ok, the two I've used are:
    Snapz Pro
    iShowU HD

I remember one worked better for some things and the other worked better for other things (it might have even been an SL vs. WoW capture but I don't recall.) Looking a the help forums some people had better luck with one vs. the other (Some Snapz, some iShowU). I'd give both a try and see how they work for you. Both have trials.

That said - both cost, and for a free option there is Camtwist which will let you capture your desktop - although I think you need to use it as a camera in some other video camera program (haven't used _any_ of these in a long time.)

I'm not sure which link is the official site for camtwist(since it used to be a subpage on some domain other than camtwist.com), so here is the Mac Update link: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24275/camtwist
    Post edited by Zurena at 2012-04-05 14:49:43
  • Given that you're on a Mac, QuickTime will also do screen recording. Though I'm wondering if that's not the tool that the WoW client is already leveraging.
    Post edited by Lurzmog at 2012-04-05 15:00:36
    Spencer Cross AKA Lurzmog | Balkhmog | Gobhoblin
  • It's QT-based, for sure, since it offers the AIC format as an encoding option. I have a hard time believing an external capture program will really be more efficient than the internal tool (with sane settings) but what do I know.
  • I'm not sure why most people don't use the in game recording facilities (on Windows FRAPS seems to be the preferred too.), unless it is the limits of the options. This guide discusses workflow with the options of using the internal capture or SnapZ Pro.

(Oh and now that my browser is speaking to me again, it appears the official camtwist site is: http://camtwiststudio.com/ )
    Post edited by Zurena at 2012-04-05 17:02:52
  • The Windows client has no built-in video recording which may be a big reason people don't use it.
  • That makes for a stronger argument for it being a QT based, since QT isn't a default on Windows. In any case I thought the tutorial page had some nice pointers whether you use the built in or an external prog.
  • I decided to brave Panderia on my terrible windows laptop via mooched neighbor wifi. Downloading at 1.62MB/sec, 12GB left. And my internet is nigh-on unusable while it downloads.

I want my internets back.
  • I has a Swirlie.
  • So you know, the forced rename function allows you to enter your existing name. I now have a Targasso and a Smitesalot.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

WeKnow.to © 2006-2017 All Rights Reserved