Want to chat with We Know members outside of WoW? Come join us by clicking the "Chat" tab above, or connecting through your favorite IRC Client to:
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #weknow
WTB Something NOT Adobe Acrobat Pro - Suggestions?
  • I'm looking for a low cost/no cost alternative to Adobe Acrobat Pro. I need the editing compatibilities but not the $400 price tag. Also looking for OCR functionality. Thanks!
    There exist only three respectable beings: the priest, the warrior, the poet. To know, to kill, and to create. -Charles Baudelaire
  • I need this for Windows7 machines at the nonprofit I work for. I use PDFpen on my Mac.
    There exist only three respectable beings: the priest, the warrior, the poet. To know, to kill, and to create. -Charles Baudelaire
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982760

The freebie PDF tools out there are legion, including a bunch of online ones.
  • Oh interesting. I wondered why they took some of those features out.
  • There's non-profit pricing for Acrobat Pro but the website is being somewhat unhelpful (a clear sign that I didn't work on that section). If you don't find an alternative that works for you, I can get more info on non-profit pricing. I think I have a couple of Adobe sales reps in my Facebook friends.
    If you want to stop being called on your bad behavior, stop behaving badly.
  • There is, but they narrow their offerings to four distinct groups (I think it's youth, environment, arts, and housing) and animal welfare does not fall into that group. OMG! Save the puppies and kitties!

They do offer older versions of their software to non-profits that don't qualify for their normal nonprofit pricing, but they only offer suites that contain Acrobat and we are only allowed to order one per year. This went to our manager who was running super old version of their software.
  • Dumb question, why do kitties and puppies need OCR?
  • The lawyers trying to protect them do. Imagine boxes of legal documents that need to be scanned and ideally edited for pertinent content. Versus say...typing it in by hand. :P
  • Harpin said:

They do offer older versions of their software to non-profits that don't qualify for their normal nonprofit pricing, but they only offer suites that contain Acrobat and we are only allowed to order one per year.

One per year rolling over when and are you still in that year? Adobe's one per [time period] policies tend to have a static rollover date. There's one at the end of December and one at the end of June for the 6 month policies.
  • hronk said:

Dumb question, why do kitties and puppies need OCR?

The ones with serial numbers need to be able to read them in their cat scans.
  • swirly said:

Harpin said:

They do offer older versions of their software to non-profits that don't qualify for their normal nonprofit pricing, but they only offer suites that contain Acrobat and we are only allowed to order one per year.

One per year rolling over when and are you still in that year? Adobe's one per [time period] policies tend to have a static rollover date. There's one at the end of December and one at the end of June for the 6 month policies.

• Eligible organizations may request up to a total of four individual applications or one suite application per fiscal year (July 1 to June 30).

And they don't offer Acrobat as a standalone.
    Post edited by Harpin at 2012-02-10 16:19:20
  • If you just need to make .pdf files, here's a handy PDF Converter I found when I was between upgrades, didn't have my main programs reinstalled yet and needed a PDF in a hurry. It converts from many different formats. As for OCR, won't the scanner software handle it?
  • Hi Harpin,

You've checked all the options with TechSoup.org? that's the right place to get the Adobe stuff as a non-profit. If the organization you are working with doesn't qualify for some reason, or have used up their donations for the year, then you are indeed stuck. If you can, just get the whole suite.. it's cheap.

I've never heard of anything like PDFpen for Windows. But it's been a couple years since I looked. We're all Macs here... except for one PC that quickbooks runs on, which will soon get replaced by a more powerful box that will be linux with Win7 running virtually for the QB.

:-)
  • That's it, you just need a Mac ;)
  • I'm not even clicking a link about software (presumably with downloads) on a .cz domain. CALL ME PARANOID.
  • swirly said:

I'm not even clicking a link about software (presumably with downloads) on a .cz domain. CALL ME PARANOID.

That's pretty silly. It's a reasonably well-known open source pdf doodad, to boot.
  • docadus said:

Hi Harpin,

You've checked all the options with TechSoup.org? that's the right place to get the Adobe stuff as a non-profit. If the organization you are working with doesn't qualify for some reason, or have used up their donations for the year, then you are indeed stuck. If you can, just get the whole suite.. it's cheap.

We use Techsoup all of the time and love them, but we don't qualify for Adobe's regular program. We do qualify for their special donation program for older versions of their software, but we ordered our 1 allowance for the year which went to our web design manager. We did order the Suite because they don't offer Acrobat as a standalone.

Would love to go Mac, but it isn't going to happen.

Thanks for the link Darg and Lurz. I'll check them out. :)
  • swirly said:

I'm not even clicking a link about software (presumably with downloads) on a .cz domain. CALL ME PARANOID.

swirly as a IT guru I wouldnt post a bad link :)
  • I said you could call me paranoid.
  • You know who else was paranoid and had it out for the Czechs? That's right. HITLER.
  • /me eyes Bulgaria suspiciously.

Whose side are you on, Buddy?
  • not exactly what you were looking for...
  • Ahaha I lol'd irl pretty hard.
    Post edited by Valisa at 2012-02-25 18:59:56
  • Harpin said:

I'm looking for a low cost/no cost alternative to Adobe Acrobat Pro. I need the editing compatibilities but not the $400 price tag. Also looking for OCR functionality. Thanks!

The Pirate Bay to the rescue! hehe. :)

p.s. I have demonoid invites too if anyone wants one. Shh, don't tell the FBI or the RIAA, hehe.
    Post edited by Allynn at 2012-02-26 17:20:53
  • Allynn said:

p.s. I have demonoid invites too if anyone wants one. Shh, don't tell the FBI or the RIAA, hehe.

You probably don't want to put this sort of thing on the public website.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

WeKnow.to © 2006-2018 All Rights Reserved