Want to chat with We Know members outside of WoW? Come join us by clicking the "Chat" tab above, or connecting through your favorite IRC Client to:
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #weknow
You favorite SOPA/PIPA protests
  • This one is my favorite so far but it has graphic[1] depictions of koala on goat love making as well as other graphic depictions of stuff.

Regretsy has been "seized by ICE."

This twitter feed has some awesome responses to the wikipedia blackout. It tempts me to log into my twitter account for the first time in like 5 years so I can post how terrible it is that I can't fix wikipedia articles today and instead have to view the cached versions at google.com with all of their glaring errors.

So which blackout protests are you enjoying?

[1] of or relating to the pictorial arts. Source
    Post edited by swirly at 2012-01-18 05:53:28
    If you want to stop being called on your bad behavior, stop behaving badly.
  • Man, these are pretty pointedly unfunny, other than the twitter feed. Makes me feel better that I'm not calling anyone and just downloading a movie instead.
  • PS if you do want to take action against SOPA/PIPA, be sure to CALL your Congressmen as well as sending them email and signing petitions and whatnot. I say this because I know from experience that some Congressmen have parsers that read through the emails and categorize them for autoresponse, and those parsers don't necessarily work very well.

EG I wrote to my Congresswoman that her bill was terrible and would keep me from purchasing my prescription medication on the schedule ordered by my doctor, and I got a response thanking me for my support of the bill. I, being me, responded that her parser and accompanying autoresponder were terrible and she should hire me to make a system for her that's not broken, for which I got an autoresponse thanking me for my support of her bill. That bill is law now and she went on record saying that she received overwhelming positive response on the bill. I can't imagine why.

Point is, email may not even be read, whereas the Capitol Switchboard supposedly checks yes or no on your behalf.
  • hronk said:

Man, these are pretty pointedly unfunny, other than the twitter feed. Makes me feel better that I'm not calling anyone and just downloading a movie instead.

Yes, yes, Hronk is funny. So make a better one.

The Regretsy one was not of usual regretsy caliber, but has a lot of in jokes. For instance, the crying eagle with the glitter tear in the background is a reference to highly threatening but false copyright claim emails that are really much easier to read when Regretsy is working. That part cracked me up but it could have been much better. She probably wasn't drunk enough yet when she made it.

These are pretty darned funny too, just not intentionally.
  • So if you do need to use Wikipedia today, you can simply temporarily turn off Javascript in your browser either globally or selectively with extensions such as 'NoScript'. Then you get a fully working wikipedia back. Today's featured article? Nick Drake! Did you know that "Gerp's mouse lemur is a newly discovered mouse lemur species from Madagascar, and is only known from an area smaller than the size of Puerto Rico?". I didn't but I do know. No word yet on Herp's and Derp's lemurs but I suppose I could wikipedia those.
  • 4chan's redacted text made me lol. Wikipedia's is making me twitch in withdrawal, though.
  • hronk said:

So if you do need to use Wikipedia today, you can simply temporarily turn off Javascript in your browser either globally or selectively with extensions such as 'NoScript'. Then you get a fully working wikipedia back. Today's featured article? Nick Drake! Did you know that "Gerp's mouse lemur is a newly discovered mouse lemur species from Madagascar, and is only known from an area smaller than the size of Puerto Rico?". I didn't but I do know. No word yet on Herp's and Derp's lemurs but I suppose I could wikipedia those.

• hronk said:

So if you do need to use Wikipedia today, you can simply temporarily turn off Javascript in your browser either globally or selectively with extensions such as 'NoScript'. Then you get a fully working wikipedia back.

I've just been googling [site name] [topic] and viewing the Google cache. No extension needed. However, it's not editable that way an we know know how important it is that it gets edited on a near constant basis by people possessed by this guy.

You don't need to be particularly tech savvy or even use browsers with plugins to use the google cache.
    Post edited by swirly at 2012-01-18 06:57:05
  • If you use Chrome, hit Preferences, 'Under the Hood' from the left side bar, Content Settings button at the top (under Privacy), then for Javascript, keep it turned on but hit the 'Manage Exceptions' buttons and add 'en.wikipedia.org' with action set to 'Block'. It should look something like this -

wankery

(The nyt thing is, like, totally optional and unrelated!)

Whee, working wikipedia. In theory you should also be able to get to that particular pref screen directly by pasting

chrome://settings/contentExceptions#javascript

in your chrome address bar.

Don't forget to take this out after the Day of Rage™
  • Theoatmeal.com/sopa
  • Fail on google for just collecting a petition and not giving you contact information for legislators... :/
  • It's probably unwise to try to redirect even a fraction of the US internet (i.e. Google front page) into the narrow straws that are congressional switchboards and fax machines. Well, maybe not if you're a Senator from Vermont or Wyoming. But other than that...
  • hronk said:

It's probably unwise to try to redirect even a fraction of the US internet (i.e. Google front page) into the narrow straws that are congressional switchboards and fax machines. Well, maybe not if you're a Senator from Vermont or Wyoming. But other than that...

But that is what you want haha! If their phone system crashes, they will get the picture even more clear IMO. Wikipedia has you input your zip code and then gives you the office for your personal congressional rep. which is pretty much standard practice for any legislative action protest, etc.
    Post edited by Allynn at 2012-01-18 14:07:45
  • Here's my blog post on the topic, featuring, of course, a couple of our friends:

http://dunlaps.net/darius/2012/01/18/the-internet-is-worth-protecting/
  • hronk said:

It's probably unwise to try to redirect even a fraction of the US internet (i.e. Google front page) into the narrow straws that are congressional switchboards and fax machines.

There is a point to overwhelming their systems on a dedicated day of protest, though. Crashing their phone systems is much more apparent to them than text of an email that they ran through a faulty parser instead of reading. It's also much better than a form email.

Wikipedia has a dedicated workaround for people for whom the google cache and turning off .js aren't feasible options: append ?banner=none to the URLs.
  • Oh here's a good one!

It's like a cross between "Oh, those plebians and their wikipedia" and "OMFG HOW CAN I SPIN THIS?"
    Post edited by swirly at 2012-01-18 16:07:25
  • My silly side thought it would be funny to come up with a graphic that was along the lines of SOAP=GOOD SOPA=BAD. And then perhaps cartoon style talk about the benefits of soap and the problems with SOPA (and maybe even come up with cross analogies.)

(Yeah love to do it but right now I'm still struggling with untangling computer cabling to reduce the number of desks (and then eventually computers) in our/my office. You wouldn't think that could be so hard.)

On the other hand my serious side wrote this (equally not more than pushing buttons on a keyboard) to facebook and I'll paste it here:

I see we are very good at protesting and that involvement gives me hope, but what steps are we taking beyond the protest to change the way govt. is working. The solution isn't simple, many lives and jobs are involved (not just the wealthy btw.) but I think constructive steps - do thises (rather than I don't like) (and more than write your congress people) are needed, and with as much enthusiasm as the protests.

That said I am loving seeing my friends posts and protests and how people who didn't know are asking questions. Too many people that Anti SOPA/PIPA == piracy is ok, and that is, as you all know, quite inaccurate.
  • Melting switchboards is a legitimate form of protest, it's just not one a srs bsns that intends to be seen as a good-faith and reasonable participant in the political process can be associated with - it just makes the 'crazy internet vigilantes' charge appear much less silly than it is. I think Google is doing The Right Thing™ here - leaving the real mouth-frothing to the reddits and the wikipedias (dirty hippies!).
  • I kind of like this one -

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2012/01/18/pipa-sopa/

ZOMG DARKENED KITTENS!
  • I agree with Hronk about the hippies being dirty, and would like to add that they also are often smelly.
  • This one would have been my favorite if I hadn't been playing so much SWTOR on the empire side lately, where you can't go for more than about 5 minutes without some idiots making an arrow in the knee "joke"

• Ahahahahahahahah. That's too good.
    Spencer Cross AKA Lurzmog | Balkhmog | Gobhoblin
  • No one's parodied Pippa Passes into PIPA passes yet. Literary nerd is disappoint.

• Is that related to Pippa Longstockings?
  • That English degree finally paying off, Val!
  • hronk said:

That English degree finally paying off, Val!

I had a job interview at a reform school today!
  • I've got the movie-of-my life pitch for you already. Ok, so American History X meets Dead Poets Society. We'll get Keanu to play you. Because he knows kung fu.
  • I'm on the right.
  • Pffft that kid on the right didn't punch himself on the nads at all. It may have been a girl though, I dunno.

• SOPA related photos let me embrace my inner Snow to play with LEGO bricks. DID I GET IT RIGHT THAT TIME, SNOW!?
  • I think Snow is in NZ or some silly place like that right now. At least, he stopped sending me free crafted gear.
  • Snow is an active guildie in SW:TOR, you should join us. He just got back from a trip to Africa to visit family, pre-baby, because he knows how kidlets tie you down more than being on the no-fly list!
  • I thought we'd already roped Val into the SWTOR racket.
  • I'll be back to star wars when I get paid and have finished the GRE!
  • Hronk, I think Emtu might have meant you.
  • Yes, that is true, and shortly after making the comment I realized that he could be the second most active member on the Republic side (I don't think I have ever logged on when Maloch wasn't logged on) and I might not even know about it, because I am pretty much 100% Empire these days.
  • It's true, Maloch had logged off when I was about to log out tonight.
  • In other news:
    MPAA LOL
  • I am having myself a plain olde snickerfest over here.

I'm actually quite opposed to content piracy and I tend to be opposed to Anonymous's DDOS attacks as well, but if you add them together, I'm still less opposed to them than to the RIAA or the MPAA.

RIAA/MPAA "Wah! We have no ability to take down rogue pirate websites in other countries! We need a new law that will just happen to give us a de facto distribution monopoly for our respective media, thus giving us a de facto content creation monopoly for our respective media."

DoJ: "You should be glad we didn't make this bust YESTERDAY."

Anonymous: "Witness my POWUH!"

• Nice. Needs some dance moves, though. Someone should have got on a private server (violating the DMCA, which was going to end internet last time but apparently enabled the user-content internet but SOPA seeks to change but my head hurts) and added some dance moves.
    Post edited by hronk at 2012-01-19 20:20:04
  • /me digs out Negativfan and put on her Copyright Infringement is Your Best Entertainment Value tshirt.

The only pirated media in my home, imported from Sweden circa 1995.
    Post edited by swirly at 2012-01-19 20:30:11
  • hronk said:

violating the DMCA, which ... apparently enabled the user-content internet.

No, that was the Audio Home Recording Act and the Fair Use Doctrine. The RIAA picked up steam again in the 90s in order to try to get the DMCA to pass, stating that they were absolutely not doing it to go after people who sampled their works for audio collage (specifically Negativland, which was a Fair Use issue) because that was small fish. However, they reserved the right to go after the medium fish of "song sampling," which according to their definition created a work that was wholly dependent on the sample and thus not collage and not subject to Fair Use.

They were after the big fish of the Audio Home Recording Act, so that they could keep people from burning CDs of their music to loan out/give away, or as backup media. They claimed that burned CDs, as "permanent media", would allow home users to make permanent copies and increase piracy. They immediately went after the vending machine company that allowed users to create their own mix tapes onto CD inside record stores (ending that business model even though the songs were paid for), as well as pushing for what we now know as DMCA anti-piracy controls to disallow CD copying or ripping (along with their buddies, the MPAA). This didn't go over so well with users since the software was buggy, but that was ok because it didn't work very effectively either.

Fast forward a bit and people have been making audio/visual collages (per the Fair Use Doctrine) and posting them on YouTube, much like Negativland was doing prior to the DMCA, but now in a bigger fish fashion. The RIAA and MPAA, not happy at all with this content "theft," which is how they have always referred to collage, have been filing takedown notices on people who have created these collages, but those people who have fought that have often won that fight. This is untenable to the RIAA and MPAA members because they believe collage to be theft as well as often being "defamatory."

Fast forward a bit further and we get SOPA/PIPA, which would give content "creators," by which I mean copyright holders, the ability to unilaterally remove collage, parody, and other derivative works from the internet without Due Process because if there were Due Process, the copyright holders in question would lose. This combination of lack of Due Process and known intention to eliminate collage, parody, and derivatives is what would set up a de facto distribution monopoly.

If they did not give approval for that song that the dancing baby is dancing to, the dancing baby is removed from the internet, despite falling under Fair Use, with the only legal option of the dancing baby's mom being to sue the RIAA on her own dime, risking the RIAA's court costs if she loses, which she would never be able to afford. Add to that the power to make such unwarranted claims against small record labels, and they can repeatedly (likely temporarily, but very expensively) eliminate the distribution channels of those small record labels. (They already have contracts with CD distribution companies that disallow those companies to carry small labels.)

One thing to keep in mind is that the dancing baby's mom, according to Fair Use and under SOPA/PIPA, could burn the dancing baby video to CD and hand it to her friend and suddenly it falls under Fair Use/Home Audio Recording Act and is perfectly legal. This is a special rule that applies to digital distribution of works that would be legal to distribute by hand.

Then there's the whole "deliberately failing to take advance measures to ensure that no copyright infringement ever happens" clause plus the criminal penalties issue, and you shut down YouTube, Facebook, Flickr, Blogger, and most webhosts in the US. Also, any items that have not been deemed wholly uninfringing of all copyrighted works in existence (by the de factor arbiters, the RIAA and MPAA), which can't be done, and small labels/unsigned bands will not be able to sell via Amazon, iTunes, or even their own website if they can manage to get one..

It's been the business model of the RIAA and MPAA to eliminate distribution channels for media that is not controlled by them and has been for a long time; this is simply the furthest that they've gotten with their attempts to change the law to give them power over collage, parody, derivative work, and distribution channel access.

I think I should go have a drink now.
    Post edited by swirly at 2012-01-19 21:23:23
  • You should. The DMCA was vehemently opposed, for some good reasons. DMCA safe harbour provisions are routinely quoted by SOPA opponents as enabling user-content interwebs. Nothing to do with Fair Use, a lot to do with avoiding lawsuits. Read some of them blacked out pages, while having a drink!
  • The DMCA Safe Harbour provisions are the ones that were inserted into the law in order to address the objections that it would eliminate collage, Fair Use, AHRA content, etc., if I remember correctly. Pointing to that language in the DMCA as "enabling user-content interwebs" is not going back far enough in history and looking at the reasons that those protections were added, which were to clarify that the DMCA did not change existing law.
  • Also, collage!
  • Well, it is because it turned what used to be a lawsuit into procedure (takendown notice, etc). But again. To the drinks!
  • You are right though that the Safe Harbour provisions are important, since they allow ISPs and webhosts and youtube and amazon and comment sections and blogs to exist.

I did once receive a takedown notice, and my ISP handled it properly and that is why I love them. Although I was fairly unhappy to hear "Honey, I didn't tell you that we were hosting malware that pretends to be a Harry Potter ebook in our crawlspace because I knew you'd be mad!"

Where's that drink again?
  • You pirated U2? Pirate with better taste!
  • Okay, after reading that I am judging you less harshly...but I still judge!
  • wow Swarley, you seem very knowledgeable of interweb stuff. Maybe you can answer a technical question for me. If I was to utilize that TL:DR thingy in reference to your post, would that be hip and cool, or just accurate :-)

Seriously though,my biggest concern with this SOPA thingy is trying to figure out how to get people to realize that fighting this legislation, though important, is not over if this current implementation doesn't move forward into law. The influence on the process by lobbyists means that if they don't get what they want this time, they will break it down into smaller incremental pieces and slip it into other "important" crap. More important though is that if it isn't downloading porn that they are attacking, but some other crappy policy, somehow we need to still make people give a rat's bottom.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

WeKnow.to © 2006-2018 All Rights Reserved