Want to chat with We Know members outside of WoW? Come join us by clicking the "Chat" tab above, or connecting through your favorite IRC Client to:
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #weknow
Gold making discussion!
  • Posting this in a new thread because it's time to make some gold! So how do you guys make gold? Got good tips? I'll show you mine if you show me yours! :P

Things I use to make gold:

http://theunderminejournal.com/ All item prices on all servers, updated hourly

TradeskillMaster addon.(TSM) Best AH addon ever! Does all kinds of things, too many to list.

Best WoW gold making forums ever! http://consortium.stormspire.net/forum.php

And of course Auctioneer. However, some people have even abandoned Auctioneer for TSM because it can do many of the things that auctioneer can do.

hronk said:

Allynn said:

It's very accurate, usually more accurate than auctioneer. they have a lot of nifty features too, more than just prices. This is THE source for AH prices. :)

I'd seen the site before but did not realize (it's poorly advertised, maybe because however it's done, it's borderline ToS violation) they actually do hourly scans - unlike most such sites that rely on user uploads. It doesn't replace the various clever search features of Auctioneer but if you're not an inveterate scanner, this is very, very accurate and useful.

Patch week or so is a great way to build up a little trading nest-egg, my alt tailor/disenchanter healer brings in about 400-600g per HoT run (that's satchel, DE mats, embersilk). My take so far from this and other basic trading is about 30k. I shudder to think what serious JC'ers have made.

Yes, auctioneer can be real good, if you keep up with scans! However, this site also has data available for download, that you can plug into tooltips, etc. I personally use this site, although not much anymore, along with auctioneer also. But my main money making addon is "Tradeskillmaster" and as the name implies, it's focused on trade skills. It is THE best AH addon I've ever seen. It has it own AH database too, can can be updated automatically from a separate stand alone program, hourly from the remote AH online. (not in game) or you can choose to use auctioneer DB. Just using this and crafting stuff, I'm making probably 15k a day and not really working that hard either. The new pvp blue gear is selling at a ridiculous markup right now. Enchants are selling real good and some at a very good markup.

One thing I LOVE about the above website is that you can set email alerts when a rare epic item (or any item) comes on the market, at a price you want and you get an automatic email, then you can log on the remote AH and snatch it up pretty quick without even logging in. I used to do the "obsidian shuffle" prospecting for gems and I set it up to give me alerts whenever ore went below a certain price. I haven't done that in a while but it's still profitable given the current prices of red gems. I prospected 20 stacks the other day and the take of red gems exceeded the cost of the ore by about 1k. Then add in the other gems, even more money!
    Post edited by Allynn at 2011-12-06 16:05:31
  • The first rule of TradeskillMaster is we do not talk about Tradeskillmaster.
  • I have TradeSkillMaster installed but I haven't had a chance to configure it/understand its options so I've been sticking with auctioneer for now.
  • "In the midnight hour, she cried ore, ore ore!"

For some reason I cannot fathom, elementium ore is selling for 60 +/- a few gold (I've picked up stacks for 50, in bulk, in trade). If you have a JC, Alchemist, Enchanter triplet, this is basically a money press. I wouldn't tell you but I'm tired of ore processing.
  • Eh, it was better when I was getting ore for 30-35g a stack. I'm waiting for it to fall to that again (prolly another month).
    The chintacle can sense fear.
  • It wasn't better because then everything else cost nothing as well. 60g is very little relative to the price of the stuff you can make from it today. When it's 30 in a month, you won't be moving 60 gems a day through the AH either.
  • @allynn what one sends you email alerts?
    Sandrika, Crazan, Squeatus To often we post in anger, when waiting and thinking and letting that boiling pot settle would be sooo much better.
  • ahhh ok
    Sandrika, Crazan, Squeatus To often we post in anger, when waiting and thinking and letting that boiling pot settle would be sooo much better.
  • I make gold by transmuting volatile life to volatile air. It gets me about 500 gold per day for no work. (I have 3 alchemists)
  • Hronk, the gem prices were equivalent to today, save that right now Infernos are spiked a bit higher. That's why it was much more profitable, as materials cost was half :)
    The chintacle can sense fear.
  • Skreath said:

I make gold by transmuting volatile life to volatile air. It gets me about 500 gold per day for no work. (I have 3 alchemists)

That's good money for 10 seconds of work! Transmuting inferno rubys and shadowspirit diamonds are also pretty good.
  • Back in the day, we had a pretty good chain of supply in the guild that was insanely profitable. We coordinated JC recipes (plus gathering and transmutes)and pretty much dominated the market (the Chew era). Eventually he learned all the recipes, so he didn't need all the support to cover every recipe, but by then I had alts leveled up to do 4 alchemy and 3 mining daily transmutes. I still had 99 problems, but gold wasn't one of them.
  • Materials prices are starting to come back down to pre patch levels (although supply isn't quite back yet). My guess is people are now going back to farming having grinded all the easy gear out of the new instances.

My guess is that prices for gems and other item consumables will stay high as people move through LFD to LFR, assuming there isn't a drop off when SW:TOR is launched.
    Post edited by Zoriana at 2011-12-12 20:50:02
  • Gem and enchant prices have dropped already. People were gearing fast because of LFD but they don't gear as quickly in LFR. Now that they're in LFR the prices are going down. There was a point where I'd put in raw inferno rubies and they'd sell overnight (at more than most of the inferno ruby cuts). Now I'm having to check the AH every few hours and list a few gems at a time because the competition is undercutting faster than the gems start selling.

I've always hated selling enchants and cut gems because it's a lot of effort and things usually end up selling after they are priced lower than the mats. Earlier today, to undercut on landslide, I had to list it at 200g less than the sum of landslide mats. Right now, profit on landslide over mats is about 75g (with a cost of nearly 2k) Yesterday, mine was the only landslide in there and I listed it at 5k. Within an hour, there were 4 1c undercuts. The new ~2k price is the result of less enchants selling than being listed.

It's just too much effort at this point. I'm done selling gems and enchants again once my stock is sold.
    If you want to stop being called on your bad behavior, stop behaving badly.
  • Hater's gonna hate.

(I just get whispers/complaints from Hronk when I price at market)
  • "WHY YOU NO LIKE GOLD?"
  • Zoriana said:

(I just get whispers/complaints from Hronk when I price at market)

I suspect you might be using the wrong auctioneer stats mod. The default is quite awful and does not represent anything close to 'market'.

zomg geren

I can only buy you out to prevent a massive price-alanche so many times!

Post edited by hronk at 2011-12-16 13:09:57
  • This was a litte cryptic, the details are -

turn on histogram reports
    pay attention to 'median'
    run /auc getall whenever at AH

don't be a Geren!

• I think the problem is that you are listing at average market price over time. Right now, the prices are inflated because there is high demand, so if you are listing at market price from 3 weeks ago, your prices will be much lower than current market price.

Auctioneer has an undercut by x amount option. It will keep Hronk from complaining.
    Post edited by swirly at 2011-12-16 14:37:45
  • Hmmm perhaps I should come back to the JC market. Massively overpriced I see. :)
  • swirly said:

I think the problem is that you are listing at average market price over time.

histogram, histogram, moving average, anything!
  • Average Market Price according to my data is 199g 17s so I'm slightly above Market there. Yes it goes higher when supply dries up and typically that's when demand dries up as well (usually between 3am and 7am server time). Remember the median is based on the price that's been posted and generally is not a reflection on what the sale price (if any) is.

Even at peak times that's cut is a slow seller. Generally I can shift more of the raw metas quicker (for a faster return on investment) than the cut ones (ratio is usually 2:1). Even at market price (or 5-10% higher) I'm getting a 200-300% return on my investment which is good enough for me.

Funny story. Yesterday someone was giving me grief for having the cheek to undercut his (overpriced) Inferno Rubies at on or above market. In the minute he was ranting at me the original 3 I'd posted sold (at 5% above market), followed by 3 more I posted while he was gabbing away at me. Total score was around ~1300g which was promptly reinvested for a further 3 cycles round my process chain. I believe his overpriced stock was still there when I went to bed, while I was around 5000g up on Rubies alone.
    Post edited by Zoriana at 2011-12-16 15:06:43
  • swirly said:

Auctioneer has an undercut by x amount option. It will keep Hronk from complaining.

Mine is set at 0.5% although I rarely go on the Auctioneer price alone. The Undermine Journal generally is more accurate given that they scan hourly, while I scan several times at most.
    Post edited by Zoriana at 2011-12-16 15:10:07
  • Zoriana said:

Average Market Price according to my data is 199g 17s

Your data is woefully wrong. They move in the high 200s, 250+ for sure, daily. That particular cut is, indeed, a slow seller. But you do the same in every red cut that's a fast seller even at 3 am. Cut it out (mmm, pun)! As I said, I'm happy to buy you out at your relatively low volumes. The trouble is you invite 50 idiots to post 50 gems below you and I don't have the means to do anything about that.

Griefgiving, that's not in jest is obviously jibberish. But you're leaving gold on the table! Pure gold!
  • Undermine has 199g 0s as Market (Mean 285g 14s 85c, SD 108g 3s 29c) for Burning. The meta's generally. In my experience you get (under) cut if you drift higher than 5-15% market. If you are willing to wait out until demand is greater than supply and that perfect moment arrives for your perfectly price gems to sell then great. Personally I like the warm fuzzy feeling of a quick 500%+ return on investment.

hronk said:

But you're leaving gold on the table! Pure gold!

You are of course assuming that a) I post all the gems I prospect/cut on Furiana (hint: I don't) and b) that its not to my advantage to have 50+ people undercutting me at 0-10% below market (hint: blended rate).
    Post edited by Zoriana at 2011-12-16 16:01:43
  • Well, you'd have to explain b) to me and let's ignore Burning. This makes zero sense, and it's not a matter of waiting and I just didn't screenshot the worst horribleness of it. The horribleness!

• Hronk was failing me at math before I even had coffee. The point is, if that's the "market price" it's being based on outdated data.
  • Zoriana said:

Funny story. Yesterday someone was giving me grief for having the cheek to undercut his (overpriced) Inferno Rubies at on or above market. In the minute he was ranting at me the original 3 I'd posted sold (at 5% above market), followed by 3 more I posted while he was gabbing away at me. Total score was around ~1300g which was promptly reinvested for a further 3 cycles round my process chain. I believe his overpriced stock was still there when I went to bed, while I was around 5000g up on Rubies alone.

Yes, and the point is that people are buying at higher prices-- the same people would buy at a higher price. So while you made 1300g while he was complaining, had you been pricing closer to the other sellers, you may have made 1800g. So the question is, which do you want more: 1300g or 1800g?

Again, "market price" is not actual market price. Market price is what people are currently willing to pay and people are currently willing to pay more for gems than they usually are. If your market price is based on prices from 3 weeks ago, they're wrong.
  • 1300g of easy money in pocket much preferable to 1800g that's sitting on the AH waiting to sell (or sells 24 hours later). Especially when I can take the 1300g, move it back through the cycle to turn it into 2600g then back through again for 5000g. That's pure profit from around 30 minutes worth of work ready to reinvest while the market is hot. (45 if I have to gather a couple of mats)

Also as I pointed out to Hronk, there is a reason why they are priced as such and the volumes low.
    Post edited by Zoriana at 2011-12-16 18:58:44
  • I like pickles!
  • You're assuming that those gems would sit in the AH waiting to sell.

What I'm saying is that that premise is not true.
  • Sandrika said:

I like pickles!

Gherkin or Dill? You need to be more specific!
  • dill! 100%
  • swirly said:

You're assuming that those gems would sit in the AH waiting to sell.
    What I'm saying is that that premise is not true.

Quick experiment last night. The Brilliant Inferno Rubies I priced 10% above the market price (but were still undercut the ones listed) are still there in AH 12 hours later. Assuming supply dries up as it usually does they will probably sell before they drop off the AH on Sunday.

Later on once the undercutting started, I posted ones that tracked the market price as it fell sold quickly and I cleared my lines out at a blended rate of ~235g per gem (current price is 196g). The money then was immediately reinvested through the process twice to take advantage of short supply in another part of the market. End result ~5327g profit*.

Money in the bank is always better than money in stock siting in bags or on the AH. Especially when it can quickly be used to make more money.

I am not disagreeing that you can make a higher profit per gem price. If I was willing to spend hours tracking the market to be online to pitch the perfect price and duration then yes I could. Given the volatility of the Eitrigg gem market due to the number of high volume players I'm perfect happy with the level of alpha I'm generating based on the time I'm willing to invest in playing the AH (as little as possible).

(* Current total. I still have around 1000g of main product (should sell out in the next 24 hours) and about 2000g of by product (should sell in the next 7 days) to shift. Initial investment was 1200g with total time spent around 38 mins)
    Post edited by Zoriana at 2011-12-17 09:07:57
  • There is only one kind of pickle and that's Branston.
  • One tip that I don't have time to capitalize on:

Frostweave Cloth seems to be commanding a premium at the moment. Currently the median price of a stack over the last two weeks has been 58g 54s 80c (compare to Embersilk where the median price is a tiny bit lower at 58g 23s 20c). Supply seems to be patchy at the moment so you can quite easily post at 80g per stack and sell out within the hour on a good day). The best part its stupidly easy to farm. I got 10 stacks on Zoriana in the 20 minutes I was trying to farm an enchant recipe in Icecrown which sold almost immediately. Best time to sell is midweek when supply goes to near zero.

Tailors require a stupid amount to level. First aid achievements require a stupid amount. With the change to the amount of XP required to go from lvl 70 to 80 people will be spending less time in Northrend so supply will start drying up.
  • I wish I was making this kind of scratch. My typical money-making scheme involves running 250 daily quests a day on my toons. Not good.

PS - pickles suck, eat Twinkies instead.
  • Pickles are full of electrolytes! Twinkies are full of.... who knows....
  • Both are delicious.

/thread
    a/k/a Victarious
  • Sandrika said:

Pickles are full of electrolytes!

Which means sodium. Like, half your USRDA per cup. Delicious, but no bueno.
    Spencer Cross AKA Lurzmog | Balkhmog | Gobhoblin
  • Branston pickle FTW!!! Dill is good too, but Branston pickle is wonderful.

I have a friend who makes award-winning pickles (county fair awards, FWIW), and I've discovered that pickled asparagus, pickeled green beans, and other non-cucumbers can be far better than traditional pickles. Try them when you can.
  • I've never had (or even heard of) a Branston pickle.
  • I had not heard of it either and am willing to try it, although something that wikipedia describes as standard English pub fare makes me very skeptical of its suitability for human consumption. Sure, these people brought us the Industrial Revolution, abolished the slave trade but...
  • The Branstons sound a bit like the czechoslovakian pickles we used to buy when I was a kid back in Canada. Wish I could remember the name. They were wonderful!
  • You're missing out Zurena.

Branston pickle is stupendous particularly when sandwiched by several pieces of cheese!!!!!
  • I never really learned how to enjoy the Ploughman's lunch.
  • Elementium Ore seems to be in short supply at the moment. Prices at certain points in the day have creeped into the 100g-150g range, with the average being somewhat in the 80-100g range. So if you are sitting on a stack or two now is the time to unload.

Expect the lack of ore to have knock on effects to the jewelcrafting and enchanting markets as lack of product coming through the pipeline pushes prices up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

WeKnow.to © 2006-2017 All Rights Reserved