Want to chat with We Know members outside of WoW? Come join us by clicking the "Chat" tab above, or connecting through your favorite IRC Client to:
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #weknow
Wha?rlock Leveling
  • To copy Geren's Rogue question, anyone have any tips and insights into this? I hit the low 20s, as Destro for no particular reason other than to make shadowbolt take slightly less than a year to cast. But now I have -

3 (and I'm simplifying) dots, with slightly different times
    a secondary resource
    Two reactive insta-casts, one based on a dot, one on secondary resource
    An AoE spell that appears to do more damage than anything else given as few as two targets
    129123 pets

On the plus side, there's much damage. On the other hand, going into a dungeon, at 20, feels like going raiding. Advices?

• I found demo to be much more quest friendly, and offered you the ability to solo most instance quests easily. Destro was great too, if you didn't pull to much at once. I found the fuel guard to be more useful, though.
  • I want to say that I leveled Demo as well (after 60), since there's no reason to do anything yourself when you can just make your pet do it. Before that, though, I think I had to go with Destro. I don't think I really used all of the spells available for fighting regular quest mobs.. just Immolate and the SB spam until you get Incinerate. That's basically still what I do on quests.

I'll have to play my horde nubkins and see what's changed since forever ago.

Miss you, Hronk!
  • you get your felguard at level 10 now which makes Demo awesome to level with.
  • +1 for demo levelling. I'm still demo, though, for me it's the most fun spec.
  • I prefer Destro or Affliction for leveling...
    I used to care... now I take a pill for that...

In partnership for an idiot-free America...

Tanks are the only Class/Spec that makes you fight NPCs and members of your group at the same time.
  • I leveled Demo as well.

Because the damage builds based on the combination of dots and long casts, it takes a while after the first attack to kill stuff.

Leveling fire spec as a mage, by picking a long cast as your first attack, you can often kill things before they reach you, which is good because if they do reach you, you're probably going to die. If you dislike running from the graveyard every 20 minutes, you go frost instead, but it takes longer to kill mobs and thus takes longer to move on to the next quest and thus longer to level. Locks have the same squishiness level of a mage unless you spec non-squishy.

The way that the lock works, though, to really pewpew something good, you have to dot it, then do a long cast, which gives the mob a lot of time to run towards you while you stand there hoping that your cast fires in time. If, instead, you do the long cast first, then dot and try again, the mob has the time of the dot casts plus the time of the long cast to try to get to you. You will absolutely not kill it before it gets to you and again, if the mob reaches you, you are probably going to die. Either way, your survivability is less than even a fire mage, which is pretty sad.

The solution to this problem is to send your pet in first, especially a sturdy tanking pet, then dot, which gives you enough time to fire the long cast with the added benefits of the dots. Your first long cast will likely pull aggro off your pet, so a tanking pet with a taunt is a sidekick that will help you live a long and happy life with infrequent graveyard runs. If the mob that you want to hit has a lot of neighbors, you dot and your pet will run in while you're firing the long cast, halving the distance between you and the initial mob location and then taunting, allowing you to often avoid the neighbors while giving you time to get your long casts off. As a leveling spec, this makes demo really nice because it gives extra survivability plus extra time to build damage in the way that the class is designed to work.

So, your spec options are:
    buff your long cast and hope the mob runs slow
    do massive aoe damage and die every 3 minutes
    make your blueberry super scary and pretend you're a hunter

I know you already know how to play a hunter and thus that would be boring, but if you're looking to powerlevel, demo rocks. That said, if you level with your blueberry, once you get to max level, you won't have any idea what the rest of your pets are for.
    If you want to stop being called on your bad behavior, stop behaving badly.
  • I actually prefer using the Felguard as demo; I instant-dot and run, gather 3-4 mobs, and hit his bladestorm while casting hand of gul'dan. Generally any damage I take is healed by the passive stuff and it kills frigtheningly fast. The trick is to 1) only use corruption and bane and 2) macro /petattack into your corruption. The reason is that the pet's first attack will generate far more aggro on a mob than your dot, and the second thing you dot up the pet will go after etc. I don't even bother healing my pet either. After 4-6 pulls like this he'll be close to croaking, soulburn and insta-summon another :P

EDIT: i'm also a big believe in drain life as a filler heh.
    Post edited by Maloch at 2011-11-06 15:11:32
    The chintacle can sense fear.
  • Yeah, Demo was my favorite for leveling. Its really easy, and quick.
  • Demo's stat buffs and Felguard make it your best option.

Maloch said:

After 4-6 pulls like this he'll be close to croaking, soulburn and insta-summon another :P

Talent into Demonic Rebirth and you don't need to burn a Soul Shard. It's usually taken because there are no DPS increasing talents in that tier beyond Mana Feed.
    Post edited by Ashtanga at 2011-11-07 08:41:01
    --
    aka Emolate aka Emo aka Sememe aka Senene aka Elmo aka Elmolatte
    Running Windows? Secunia will tell you if you have vulnerable software and browser plugins!
    http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

• I wish Yroa had the failguard at level 10 back in vanilla. THE failguard ... like ... the only one on the server :P
  • It can really depends on your play style. Each spec definitely has pros and cons. Demo is going to have high survivabilty, high AOE DPS and low single target DPS. Affliction highest DPS overall for single target with a slow build up and moderate AOE. Destro "burst" (like a cheap mage), mediocre DPS.. fairly crappy AOE (spam Rain of Fire). All this being said, get used to Fear Kiting and Drain Life, it will be your bread and butter.
  • Ashtanga said:

Demo's stat buffs and Felguard make it your best option.

Maloch said:

After 4-6 pulls like this he'll be close to croaking, soulburn and insta-summon another :P

Talent into Demonic Rebirth and you don't need to burn a Soul Shard. It's usually taken because there are no DPS increasing talents in that tier beyond Mana Feed.

Don't listen to this guy! I heard he sold his warlock on ebay!
  • Wafflefry said:

It can really depends on your play style. Each spec definitely has pros and cons.

Waffle, you mealy-mouthed hippie!

The question is legitimate, though - the playstyle I'm talking about can be described as 'maximum-throughput leveling' - that is, no achievements, no sightseeing, no lore, no pvp, etc (perfectly sensible and delightful as these pastimes are, of course), just XP per unit time spent. Full heirlooms and optimal, enchanted gear in every other slot. STAFF SLATHERED IN MAGE OIL.

Hunters came up - to this day every hunter guide will tell you the best leveling thing you can do is BM. This is complete nonsense given how leveling and talents work in Cata. I'm looking for that kind of insight, except about warlocks. Maybe between 52 and 65, you're king of dungeons specced affliction.

I did hit 30 and got to dual spec and you're all right, that failguard sure is handy.

• I needed to get my locks to 75 to max out their professions. I found Kappajoe's Hidden Grimoire quite handy. A quote from the opening paragraph:

"With the Looking For Dungeon (LFD) option Blizzard has given us, leveling has now been split into three ways: standard leveling, battleground leveling, and dungeon leveling. This guide focuses upon the latter, designed to get you from 1-80 using mainly dungeon experience."

Although it's now outdated, it still has a lot of useful info on how to kill mobs startlingly quick.

*Edited to add that I personally find casting Rain of Fire to be like squeezing toothpaste from a tube, especially when compared to a mage's Blizzard.
    Post edited by Runtimerror at 2011-11-08 12:54:00
  • yeah thats why i love Demo so much. you get to cast hellfire while moving and double that with hand of guldan and a felguard's felstorm and you are an unstoppable AOE machine.
  • Well, max dps and drain tanking go full throttle Afflic IMHO. Secondary as Demo for the AoE and possibly drop Afflic for Destro when high 80's and starting your troll runs. That's how I would do it still ;-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

WeKnow.to © 2006-2017 All Rights Reserved